Jun 29, 2018

Dietary supplements: Are they a good idea?

(1) Dear Alice,

Do you recommend any natural remedies (Melatonin, etc.) as dietary supplements for healthy living?

(2) Dear Alice,

I have been seeing a lot of ads on dietary supplements and have been thinking about trying them. However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Could you please tell me if the use of dietary supplements is really worth it?

Supplementally Confused

Melatonin

Are there any benefits to melatonin, and are there known negative side-effects?

Weight loss products containing hydroxy citric acid — Safe?

I have just received an envelope containing advertising for a weight-loss product containing hydroxy citric acid. The scary part is the huge amounts of weight loss in a short period of time — 7-11 pounds a week. Obviously, this is not all fat. What can you tell me about using H.C.A.?

— Skeptical

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and weight loss?

I am trying fairly unsuccessfully to lose weight. I think I gained weight as a result of taking Paxil. Now that I am Paxil-free, I am looking for something to help me lose weight. What do you know about CLA (conjugated linoleic acid)? It seems like it should help. Do you know anything about it? Are there any side effects? Is it beneficial?

Thanks!