1) Alice,

What is the "G-spot" on a woman and where is it?

— Vaginal

2) Dear Alice,

Where's the infamous "g-spot"? Also, how is it stimulated?

Signed, Hm...

Dear Vaginal and Hm…, 

The Grafenberg spot (G-spot) is reported to be a sensitive area that is roughly half a centimeter in size, located just behind the front wall of the vagina between the back of the pubic bone and the cervix. Dr. Ernst Grafenberg, the first modern physician to identify and describe the area, claimed that when this spot was stimulated during sex through vaginal penetration of some kind (fingers during masturbation, penis, or other object partly thrusting into the vagina), the person with the vagina may have an orgasm. Despite the acceptance of these claims among the general public, there remains a certain amount of controversy among sex researchers regarding the G-spot’s location, size, and nature. As of now, there is no collective consensus among scientists or researchers on whether or not the G-spot even exists.  

Ultimately, the orgasm for those assigned female at birth is more complex than for those assigned male at birth, partially because there are more parts that make up sexual anatomy: the uterus, vagina, clitoris, and (potentially) G-spot. Not to mention, there are a number of psychological, physiological, hormonal, social, and cultural factors that play a role in the ability to orgasm beyond mere physical stimulation of the vagina or clitoris. Some of these factors include intimacy, previous experiences, sexual knowledge, personality, self-image, comfort level, cultural and religious beliefs, etc. There are also a number of other erogenous zones besides the genital area that can increase sexual pleasure and help someone get closer to having an orgasm, such as breasts (chest), buttocks, feet, neck, and more. 

The complexity of the female orgasm and female sexuality in general in comparison to male sexuality might explain why there has been such a disparity in scientific research between the two, particularly in Western society. It was also deemed improper by many to investigate female sexuality and what causes the female orgasm. As a result, hardly any scientific investigations were conducted on these topics until the second half of the 20th century, making it difficult to provide evidence of the existence of something as mysterious as the G-spot, and creating plenty of gaps in knowledge on the subject. 

New evidence has challenged the original conceptualization of the G-spot. It's no longer believed to be a specific anatomical point able to produce orgasm by stimulating the anterior vaginal wall. Rather, the G-spot is recently thought to be more of a functional, dynamic, and hormone-dependent area—the clitorourethrovaginal (CUV) complex—varying from individual to individual in both its development and action due to the combined influence of biological and psychological aspects involved in female orgasm. As of now, the clitorourethrovaginal complex (CUV complex) still needs far more research.  

Unfortunately, the lack of concrete scientific evidence and understanding about the G-spot has led to plenty of misconceptions and myths about it, largely perpetuated by the media. Depictions of people with vaginas climaxing from penetration in film and TV as well as vibrator companies claiming their products are shaped to stimulate the G-spot have directly contributed to the belief in the existence of a specific spot meant to bring about an orgasm. This gives people with vaginas the impression not only that this spot would lead to orgasm if stimulated, but that it definitely exists in their body so they should be able to find it. The downside of this marketing is that some individuals might not find it and think there must be something wrong with them. This could result in people with vaginas feeling abnormal or inadequate if they’re unable to locate their G-spot, fostering insecurity about their inability to achieve vaginal orgasm via G-spot stimulation. 

Because sexual pleasure for people with vaginas isn't a one-size-fits-all formula, it’s important for individuals to explore their bodies and find out what feels good in order to reach that point of climax, rather than focusing on finding a specific spot that might stimulate an orgasm. Not only will this increase understanding of what feels good, it’ll also help partner(s) understand what they can do to facilitate an orgasm. Partner compatibility is key when it comes to achieving orgasm, and the best way to ensure that sex is pleasurable for everyone involved is to figure out and communicate each partner’s likes and dislikes. If it results in fireworks, great, and if it doesn't—continue experimenting! 

Last updated Dec 02, 2022
Originally published Dec 01, 1993

Submit a new comment


This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

The answer you entered for the CAPTCHA was not correct.