Dear Alice —

Are there any adult children of alcoholics groups on campus?


Dear Seeking,

In a word, yes. Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) offers an information and support group for Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA) that focuses on relationships and self-esteem issues.

Children who grew up in alcoholic households often adapted to their situation by learning patterns of interaction and methods of coping that helped them survive in childhood. These patterns may not support their own healthy environment during adulthood. Many adult children of alcoholics may struggle with trusting other people and expressing their emotions and needs. They may also feel ashamed, guilty, and a need to be in control.

The ACA group seeks to help its members understand how they came to learn old patterns and find ways to overcome them. With support, adult children of alcoholics can learn new patterns of coping, relating, and trusting. If you'd like to hear more about this group and/or make an appointment to see if the group or other services at CPS are right for you, call x4-2878. Outside of Columbia, check out the Adult Children of Alcoholics web site for info on ACA group meetings in your area.


Submit a new response

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Vertical Tabs