Apr 26, 2019

Holding off on number two

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost three years, and we've lived together for more than one, but I still can't do Number Two when he's in the house. It's not a problem during the week when we both go to our separate jobs, but on the weekends, it's usually just the two of us in the house all day (and night) Saturday and Sunday and if I feel the need to poo, I have to wait until Monday. My question is this — are there any adverse health issues I should be concerned about with waiting to poo? I know that holding your pee can give you bladder infections, but is there a similar issue with Number Two?

Patiently Waiting

Why does my urine stink?

I have noticed a bad urine smell lately whenever I go to the bathroom. It is so noticeable. I'm very conscious of it during the day. My husband said he noticed it just standing near me! I have never had anything like this before. What could be causing this?

Do I need to change my tampon after using the bathroom?

Hello Alice,

I've looked at your FAQ but I haven't found one like the one I have. When a woman uses a tampon, does she need to change it after she uses the bathroom? I would think that the string would get wet and could contribute to bacteria.

Thank you.

Spastic colon (a.k.a. irritable bowel syndrome)

(1) Dear Alice,

My father is 57 years old and he is experiencing pains which he has been told could be symptoms of a spastic colon. What can he do with his diet to alleviate these spasms, or what things can trigger these spasms?

— Helping son

(2) Dear Alice,

I am a 28-year-old female with a severe case of irritable bowel syndrome. I have been given several different medications to control the problem and have not yet come up with a working solution. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on how to keep this awful problem under control?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

— IBS Sufferer