Apr 05, 2019

Future knee problems from running?

I started treadmilling 3 - 4 miles a day, 6 - 7 days a week, for 30 minutes a day. Recently someone told me this could have adverse effects on my knees and joints. Is this true?

Kneed to know

Am I overtraining?

I am a college athlete. I have the potential to go to the Olympics. I throw javelin, a track and field event. I have been very prone to injury in the past, so I have a lot of fear about getting hurt in the future. During my past four years of high school, I have not had to train very hard for javelin, but now that I am in college, it is all I train for. My shoulder is really in a lot of pain; it crunches when I lift anything above my head. It is very stiff, and it gets weird feeling it. I want to know how to make sure that I am not over-training. I do not want to be a wuss, but I do not have a lot of faith in the person training me. How do you know when you have had enough? This is very important to me. I want to meet the expectations of my coach, but I do not want to end my career. What is a good pain and a bad pain?

— Thrown for a loop

Achilles tendon injury

Two months ago, I went out jogging and injured my Achilles tendon. I was told that I had stressed the muscle and was told to stay off of it. At this point, the pain is gone and I'd like to start exercising again. Do you have suggestions as to what would be low stress on that part of my foot? Do you have exercise recommendations to stretch it out beforehand? Finally, when I get home and feel sensitivity in the region, what can I do to alleviate potential problems?

Physical activity while injured

About five days ago while I was doing step aerobics I stepped down incorrectly and injured my foot. It turns out, after seeing the doctor, that I cracked a bone on the outer side of my foot and will have to wear a boot cast for about four weeks. My question is, since I can no longer do aerobics, what other kinds of exercises can I do to help me lose weight? I already do weights, abs, and any other type of leg exercise that don't involve me standing, but I don't feel that this is enough and since I am prone to gaining weight easily, I really want to do as much as I can but in a way that I don't aggravate my injury or make it worse.

Please let me know,
April