Sep 27, 2019

My ear is bleeding!

I need help. What do I do if I feel like I have an ear ache, only it's bleeding and clear stuff is coming out of it?

Loud music and ear ringing?

(1) Dear Alice,

I went to a club one night and the music was really loud. I've been going to clubs for a while now and the loud music usually makes my ears ring, but the ringing usually disappears in the morning. Well, this time, the ringing has lasted for several days. Is this a problem I should be worried about?

(2) Dear Alice,

I have a question for you. I am a DJ and every Saturday I work in a disco. After doing this for some days, I can hear a noise in my ears (especially in the one where I wear the headphone). Is this dangerous? How may I help it?

— Frightened

Hearing loss and ear tubes

My son has fluid in his ear causing hearing loss. It is not painful. The doctor has said that his Eustachian tubes are blocked by enlarged adenoids, and wants to surgically remove them. We have found that decongestant/antihistamine greatly improves his hearing.

Is there not some way to drain the inner ear without a surgical procedure such as tubes or syringe extraction through the eardrum? How can I reduce apparent swelling in his adenoid/sinus area? We would like the least intrusive method. Could allergies be a problem?

Airplane earaches

1) Dear Alice,

A month ago, my right ear began feeling clogged after a long plane ride. I thought that the sensation would go away after a few days, but it hasn't; in fact, it's only worsened. It's not painful, but I feel as though I'm slowly going deaf. What should I do?

— Going deaf?

2) Dear Alice,

When I fly, I get earaches. How can I avoid this on an upcoming flight?

Highly sensitive hearing

I have sensitive hearing. This is a major problem when I am trying to go to sleep. I find myself singling out every noise. Currently, I live in an apartment close to a major ventilation system. I can hear a very low frequency sound coming from it. It wouldn't bother me except for the fact that it is a random, consistent noise. Think of a ticking clock that doesn't tick at an exact rate, but ticks once, twice, maybe three times every second.

However, my roommate cannot hear this sound and my girlfriend can only hear it if she really strains to. Myself, I can hear it over music, TV, running water, etc...

I am beginning to envy people with hearing disorders. I am at the point I'd be happy to be deaf.

My question is: Is there a way to decrease my hearing ability at least in the lower frequency range?

Thank you.