Some Bones to Pick

Feb 21, 2020

Is it okay to crack my neck?

As a college student, I sometimes spend long hours reading books or looking at computer screens, and often my neck gets stiff. Like many of my joints that get stiff, sometimes I crack my neck, like I would crack my knees or fingers when they feel stiff. I often wind up doing this several times a day.

My question is, could I do irreparable damage to my spinal system if I continue using this method to soothe a stiff neck? Could I wind up a paraplegic if I continue to crack my neck? Leak spinal fluid, etc.?

Stiff-Necked Student

Arthritis?

What is arthritis? Is it a deterioration of cartilage?

— Wondering

Future knee problems from running?

I started treadmilling 3 - 4 miles a day, 6 - 7 days a week, for 30 minutes a day. Recently someone told me this could have adverse effects on my knees and joints. Is this true?

Kneed to know

Physical activity while injured

About five days ago while I was doing step aerobics I stepped down incorrectly and injured my foot. It turns out, after seeing the doctor, that I cracked a bone on the outer side of my foot and will have to wear a boot cast for about four weeks. My question is, since I can no longer do aerobics, what other kinds of exercises can I do to help me lose weight? I already do weights, abs, and any other type of leg exercise that don't involve me standing, but I don't feel that this is enough and since I am prone to gaining weight easily, I really want to do as much as I can but in a way that I don't aggravate my injury or make it worse.

Please let me know,
April