Women with Adam's apples?

Originally Published: September 12, 2003 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: August 26, 2011

It is a known fact by most when you mentioned about the fact of male and female adam's apple, but I am probably going to be the first to mention to you that I am female and I do have an obvious adam's apple.

I never had it protruding as a child, but it started appearing when I had turned 14 years of age. Some of my friends noticed my "manly" feature whenever I would raise my chin. I felt unfeminine, but don't think I was a tomboy. I just felt so embarrassed through the years. Until this day, I imagine ideas that will stop it from looking like I was born a male and had recently had a sex change.

Never had I encountered another women who has it like me. Can you tell me what might or might've been my cause? Please answer my question.

The Adam's apple, as explained in Adam's got an apple... Why not Eve?, is nothing more than cartilage and is a characteristic primarily associated with post-pubescent men. Some women do have larger Adam's apples than other women, similar to how some women have facial hair or large feet, also characteristics that are more often associated with men. The aspects of a person's body that are socially recognized markers of gender, such as the Adam's apple, facial or body hair, and breasts, are not determinants of one's sex or gender identity in any medical sense. That is, having some 'masculine' (or feminine) features does not determine whether a person identifies as a man or a woman.

As for the "cause" of your prominent Adam's apple, there may be a cause that a health care provider could determine, or there may not be; what's certain is that any "cause" would need to be determined by a health care provider you see in-person. A pronounced Adam's apple could be the normal result of the hormones your body produced during puberty; or perhaps what you think is an Adam's apple is actually a growth indicative of something else. It sounds as though you are distressed somewhat, and may find it helpful to discuss your concerns with a health care provider. If you are a student at Columbia, you may make an appointment by calling x4-2284 or visiting Open Communicator.  

Even though your Adam's apple may be the harmless result of your hormones, social stereotypes can contribute to the feelings of embarrassment that you write about. Sometimes when an individual looks different from those around her or him, her/his self-confidence can suffer because of embarrassment or social teasing. Talking with someone might help you to recognize and appreciate the emotions you've had while growing up and learn to restore some of your confidence. It is also possible that you are misperceiving or exaggerating to yourself the size of, and whether people truly notice, your larynx cartilage. If you're at Columbia, you can call Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) at x4-2878 for an appointment.

By talking with health care providers and thinking about your feelings you may be able to come to terms with your throat, apple and all. You may also try to think about your predicament by asking yourself some questions, like: What specifically bothers me about my Adam's apple? Have I noticed it interfere with any social interactions? Do I want to appear more feminine than I feel I appear now? If so, what parts of my femininity can I accentuate? And most importantly, what parts of my body do I love and appreciate? Can I allow myself to love my whole body, "flaws" included?

As a very last resort, if you cannot learn to be happy with your throat, surgery can reduce the size of an Adam's apple. This procedure is most often used by male-to-female transgender individuals. While the operation is generally safe, it can result in scars and possible changes to the voice. You may also find that insurance companies may not pay for a surgery they label as "cosmetic." You can see why this is a last resort.

555989
Sandra Bullock has an obivous Adam's apple and you can especially see it in the movie "While you were sleeping". She is a beautifu,l famous actress. So don't stress over it. Embrace your features...
Sandra Bullock has an obivous Adam's apple and you can especially see it in the movie "While you were sleeping". She is a beautifu,l famous actress. So don't stress over it. Embrace your features and make the most of it. Take care!

21625
I also have an extremely protruded windpipe / adams apple and always felt wierd about it. Especially when you work in the medical field. I have had several people, including Physicians ask me if I...
I also have an extremely protruded windpipe / adams apple and always felt wierd about it. Especially when you work in the medical field. I have had several people, including Physicians ask me if I had Thyroid problems. I think I agree with the one response that it is way more noticible in photos. I hate having my picture taken. I do however feel a little better aout it after reading this site. Thanks all

21303
I can't even tell you how much better I feel after reading everyone's nice comments. I'm a woman and have always felt self-conscious about my large adam's apple, especially after a nurse friend said...
I can't even tell you how much better I feel after reading everyone's nice comments. I'm a woman and have always felt self-conscious about my large adam's apple, especially after a nurse friend said, "Wow, you might want to get that checked out." Ugh. It's just always been there, and I attribute it to my dear Dad's mediterranean side of the family. Thank you to the person who wrote, "just be yourself!" That's the best advice. I will take it with me and remember it. Thank you!

21144

I have a rather protruding windpipe, which kind of looks like I have an Adam's apple. It shows up in photographs and probably looks bigger than it actually is. I am a singer, so...

I have a rather protruding windpipe, which kind of looks like I have an Adam's apple. It shows up in photographs and probably looks bigger than it actually is. I am a singer, so I am very conscious of my throat at all times, but I actually kind of like it!! Weird, I know, but kind of sexy!

— Vickie

20972

In response to any woman who feels weird or different about having an Adam's apple, I just wanted to say you are definitely not alone! I never thought I had a big Adam's apple until I...

In response to any woman who feels weird or different about having an Adam's apple, I just wanted to say you are definitely not alone! I never thought I had a big Adam's apple until I turned 13 or 14 and a few people pointed it out to me. They were not teasing, but they were just interested/surprised. I sometimes feel embarrassed by it, but then I remind myself that I am just being stupid and shallow. It does not make me, or anyone else with Adam's apples less feminine at all. No one else actually cares — My friends think it adds character!

I still feel a bit self-conscious, but I would definitely say to anyone who is considering surgery that it isn't worth the risk. All you need is a bit more confidence and to remember that you can still be beautiful and feminine with an Adam's apple!

20939
Hey Alice,

I read about how women with a large Adam's apple are embarrassed about it; well, don't be. I find that women who have extremely large Adam's apples are extremely gorgeous and I've...

Hey Alice,

I read about how women with a large Adam's apple are embarrassed about it; well, don't be. I find that women who have extremely large Adam's apples are extremely gorgeous and I've always desired women who have pointed, protruding Adam's apples. I wish I could be with a woman who has an extremely large one as I find them extremely sensuous. So ladies, don't be ashamed as there is nothing wrong with having one and a lot of men love women who do have one.

Tom

20782

I can relate to this girl, being a person with a large Adam's apple myself. It's very embarassing to me, too, especially because I live in a small town and all the girls have perfect...

I can relate to this girl, being a person with a large Adam's apple myself. It's very embarassing to me, too, especially because I live in a small town and all the girls have perfect throats. I got made fun of mercilessly during my junior high years and beginning of high school, but what can we do? I personally have always thought the Adam's apple ugly and creepy, so I totally freaked when my enemy noticed when I was 13 and shouted it out in front of everyone. Hang in there, people are cruel, but life goes on.

20747
Alice, The person who felt embarrassed about her Adam`s Apple shouldn`t be. For one, that is only one part of the body, one small detail. Second, some people actually get turned on by larynx size...
Alice, The person who felt embarrassed about her Adam`s Apple shouldn`t be. For one, that is only one part of the body, one small detail. Second, some people actually get turned on by larynx size. I have seen a couple sites on the Net dedicated to that. Remember it`s the personality that matters, not how big or small a larynx is.

20702
Hi Alice, I read the above question/answer and want to offer a comment to the woman who is embarrassed due to the prominence of her Adam's apple. Her question suggests that she feels alone with this...
Hi Alice, I read the above question/answer and want to offer a comment to the woman who is embarrassed due to the prominence of her Adam's apple. Her question suggests that she feels alone with this problem: "Never have I encountered another... who has it like me." Sometimes knowing that you are not alone helps a problem or perceived weakness seem less formidable and, in fact, she is not alone. Women with prominent Adam's apples are uncommon, but not extremely rare and, moreover, many women with visible Adam's apples are very feminine and attractive. For example, I personally know a few very attractive, feminine women (including my current girlfriend), who simply happen to have large Adam's apples. One beautiful woman I briefly met in Chicago last year has an extremely large Adam's apple that literally is the size of a golf ball. A recent example in the movies of a beautiful woman with a very large Adam's apple is Francesca Neri (I hope I spelled her name correctly). She starred with Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Collateral Damage." (She played the female terrorist from Colombia). I hope that the woman who asked the question reads this comment, and that she doesn't continue to feel so alone and self-conscious. Steve

20703
Dear Alice, This is in response to the woman who is teased about her Adam's apple. I want to offer her support and encouragement. People with cruelty and immaturity will find fault with anything...
Dear Alice, This is in response to the woman who is teased about her Adam's apple. I want to offer her support and encouragement. People with cruelty and immaturity will find fault with anything that doesn't mirror them, including skin color, hairstyle, speech mannerisms, or how their ears lay on their heads. The prominence of an Adam's apple is but one in a long list. If it wasn't that, it would be something else. Please, Reader, don't even consider surgery or hiding it in any way. Go ahead and lift your chin. Be proud — you've done nothing wrong! Those others are the ones with the problem, not you. And rest assured; there are plenty of men who find a woman with an Adam's apple to be quite attractive. If someone has a problem with any part of your body (and it is your body, not theirs), they need to get over themselves. Always be yourself, Reader. They can't ever take that away from you.

20704
Dear Alice, In my opinion, a woman with an Adam's apple can't be more beautiful. Sandra Bullock is a perfect example. I disagree with those who think an Adam's apple is a masculine oddity on a woman...
Dear Alice, In my opinion, a woman with an Adam's apple can't be more beautiful. Sandra Bullock is a perfect example. I disagree with those who think an Adam's apple is a masculine oddity on a woman's throat. Christopher

20705
alice, i find women with large adam's apples to be extremely beautiful. i love the way the throat of a lady looks as her eve's peach bobs up and down.

20706
Dear Alice, I am commenting on the article, Women with Adam's apples?. I found this topic interesting. I have often been irritated to hear when people are ignorantly voicing their opinions that a...
Dear Alice, I am commenting on the article, Women with Adam's apples?. I found this topic interesting. I have often been irritated to hear when people are ignorantly voicing their opinions that a woman with an Adam's apple is either a transvestite or disgusting looking. I understand that people are entitled to their opinions, but I find when people say the above, they are being unjustly hurtful. Although a prominent Adam's apple on a woman is not a common sight — it is not an abnormality. Everyday, I can go to work or to the mall and observe women with varying degrees of very visible Adam's apples. Even in film and TV there are extremely attractive women with large Adam's apples/protruding windpipes. Examples include Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan, Jeri Ryan, and Francesca Neri (huge apple). Anyway, my long-winded point is that a woman that has an Adam's apple should not feel insecure or "manly." It is quite obvious from the reader posts, from some of my friends, and myself alone, that a woman with an Adam's apple is especially attractive.

20511
Dear Alice, As a man, I am tired of hearing that "women do not have Adam's apples." They do. It is not as common as men, but they do. Further, my opinion is that the female Adam's apple is very sexy...
Dear Alice, As a man, I am tired of hearing that "women do not have Adam's apples." They do. It is not as common as men, but they do. Further, my opinion is that the female Adam's apple is very sexy! Women should not be ashamed of it. There are men out there, such as me, who find women with Adam's apples very attractive. Iain