Where to meet new people over the summer
Originally Published: June 26, 1998 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: May 12, 2014
What is the best way to meet new guys over the summer?
Summer vacation provides a great opportunity to branch out of your usual school-oriented social circle. Not only can you meet new guys, you can meet new gals, too. In order to meet new people, though, you've got to get out and get involved.
Thinking back to past summer vacations, you may recall a number of places where you've met new people — guys included:
- Sign-up for an organized summer trip — whether one or many weeks, there are trips available that focus on academics, being outdoors, international travel, language, and nearly any topic you can imagine. You may end up enjoying yourself and meeting some like-minded folk.
- Do something sports-related, like joining a swim team, taking diving lessons, horseback riding, hiking, playing softball, or cross-country running.
- Take a class. Community colleges and the local Y usually offer classes in the summer that cater to a range of age groups and interests. You could take a class in scuba diving, film, photography, ceramics, guitar, cooking, area wildflowers, or... well, you get the picture.
- Volunteer for community service. Are there any church groups or other types of organizations that need volunteers to deliver meals to homebound individuals, cook and serve at soup kitchens, help organize childhood immunization days, or work at a day camp for children?
- Look for summer jobs or internships. Although some of this involves some planning in advance, including applying, you can meet people with similar interests to your own. Contact your school about job opportunities. Look in the classifieds section of your local newspaper. Or, contact places where you are interested in working to see if they are hiring for summer help, such as at restaurants, bars, or accommodations at vacation spots or resort areas, for example.
- Take a vacation. Some destinations and tour companies offer special packages just for singles, who can sometimes request being placed in a group with similarly-aged people. Vacation packages exclusively for gay men and lesbians are also available. All of these trips can be as active as walking, biking, or hiking tours, or as relaxing as an island getaway. Not only can you meet and mingle with new people, but also enjoy a change of scene.
Don't pass up an opportunity to go out with friends or go to a summer party. Weddings, commitment ceremonies, and other celebrations also provide chances to meet new people. You never know who you might meet — especially in the summer, when out-of-town guests abound — maybe a friend's cousin will be staying with her/his family for a few weeks.
Concentrate on meeting new people, maintaining the friendships you have now, having fun, and doing what you want to do. When you are happy and satisfied, you are more attractive and interesting to others. Enjoy your summer — in doing so, you might end up in an enjoyable summer romance as well.