What's the spoon position?

| Originally Published: March 27, 1998

I have heard a lot about many different sexual positions. One that I have heard of but never known is spooning. I have heard it used in terms other than sexual (i.e., two people lying together). The friends I have questioned on this have not heard of it so they are of little help. Can you tell me what spooning is?

Thanks

-Spooned

Dear Spooned,

Spooning happens when two people, facing the same direction, are lying on their sides and are next to each other on a bed, a sofa, the floor, the beach, the grass, a train seat, the roof — okay, enough. Usually, one person is hugging the other from behind. Picture two spoons stacked side-by-side in a silverware drawer, and you'll get the picture of this position and the origin of its name. If a spoonful of sex were on the menu at the time, a man's penis could be in the vagina or anus of his partner. Some adjusting might be necessary depending upon each person's height and build.