What's the spoon position?

Originally Published: March 27, 1998 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: January 29, 2015

I have heard a lot about many different sexual positions. One that I have heard of but never known is spooning. I have heard it used in terms other than sexual (i.e., two people lying together). The friends I have questioned on this have not heard of it so they are of little help. Can you tell me what spooning is?

Thanks

-Spooned

Dear Spooned,

Spooning is a cuddling position that happens when two people, facing the same direction, are lying on their sides and are next to each other on a bed, a sofa, the floor, the beach, the grass, a train seat, the roof — okay, enough. Usually, one person is hugging the other from behind. Picture two spoons stacked side-by-side in a silverware drawer, and you'll get the picture of this position and the origin of its name. Spooning is a way to show affection, and for many people it is about closeness and comfort, and not always about sex. However, it is possible to have sex in the spooning position! If a spoonful of sex were on the menu at the time, a man's penis could be in the vagina or anus of his partner. Some adjusting might be necessary depending upon each person's height and build, but adding this sex position to your repertoire can be helpful in spicing things up! In addition, the spooning position can be helpful as sex position for people experience injuries, and may be more comfortable for pregnant women.