What to do with a mouth full of semen?

Originally Published: May 12, 2000 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: January 16, 2009

I'm curious what the etiquette is for the whole "spit or swallow" debate. How much fluid is to be expected from ejaculation exactly? And whatever is to be done with it if one decides not to swallow? Are we talking tissues by the bedside? What? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-clueless in the oral sex department

Dear clueless in the oral sex department,

You're not so clueless; tissues or a towel by the bed into which you can quietly deposit the one tablespoon (15 ml) or so of your partner's ejaculate is the quick and easy exit strategy, although the taste of semen will remain for a time. A quick trip to the bathroom for a spit and rinse with water or mouthwash will take care of the aftertaste. Bringing your ejaculator with you can help to keep the post-climax togetherness going. Returning the semen to its rightful owner is another option; you may want to talk this one over with your partner before your mouth is full. Lobbing his gob across the room with desperate spitting and hacking sounds is most certainly a no-no in any manners manual.

LOTS of past readers have inquired about the trials and tribulations of ejaculate and ejaculations. The related Q&As listed below might also help with your quest for sexuality info and harmonious relating.

21503

Just a quick addition to your excellent advice. My mother works as a nurse at a health clinic, and the phrase they are taught is, "swallow or spit, but don't let it sit....

Just a quick addition to your excellent advice. My mother works as a nurse at a health clinic, and the phrase they are taught is, "swallow or spit, but don't let it sit." Whatever you choose to do, do so quickly, as the shorter period of time ejaculate is in the mouth, the lower the risk for STI transmission.

20965

I am intrigued by the reader's question and just wanted to say, "don't feel embarrassed." It is a very common concern amongst females who like to suck on gentlemen's genitals (...

I am intrigued by the reader's question and just wanted to say, "don't feel embarrassed." It is a very common concern amongst females who like to suck on gentlemen's genitals (i.e., the cock, the balls, and the fart hole—although the last one not being strictly genitals, but connected to them via the perineum). Anyway, getting back to what to do with a mouthful of sperm, here are a few options to consider:

1. Swallow - Benefits: "waste not, want not," easy, tastes good, and doesn't waste tissues (i.e., is environmentally friendly). Drawbacks: might not taste good depending on what he ate, a big mouthful, and the gag factor.
  2. Spit - Benefits: no calories, no weight gain. Drawbacks: can be offensive, wastes tissues, and the effort needed to get out of bed to spit, unless you spit in bed.
  3. Donate to a sperm bank - the considerate approach.
  4. Snowball it back to your partner - "he makes it, he takes it".
  5. Give the cum to the bum - Benefit: you won't get pregnant.

20690
Dear Alice, I agree with the comment of the other reader regarding this subject. Why can't you swallow it? It will be bit inconvenient for the first time. Gradually you will like the taste. If the...
Dear Alice, I agree with the comment of the other reader regarding this subject. Why can't you swallow it? It will be bit inconvenient for the first time. Gradually you will like the taste. If the man has no problem to take the vaginal juices of his girlfriend or wife, what is the problem for the girlfriend/wife to swallow his semen? I am doing oral sex with my wife and she was a bit reluctant to swallow it at first. Now she is asking for my semen as she likes it, and during cunnilingus, I am taking her vaginal juices. It is only a matter of taste and affection.

20365
Dear Alice, I want to comment about the questions and comments made previously about what to do with your boyfriend's semen after oral sex. I used to refuse to allow my boyfriend to ejaculate in my...
Dear Alice, I want to comment about the questions and comments made previously about what to do with your boyfriend's semen after oral sex. I used to refuse to allow my boyfriend to ejaculate in my mouth. Nobody said I shouldn't just swallow it, I just didn't like the thought of it. Then I switched to keeping him in my mouth and spitting the semen out. It was obviously more pleasurable to him and was less messy. Now I just swallow the semen and find it much more convenient and enjoyable. Once you get used to the taste, there's nothing to it. I enjoy it more because my boyfriend enjoys it more and there's nothing to clean up afterwards. I keep the penis towards the very back of my throat while he's having his orgasm so the sperm simply goes right down. My boyfriend doesn't mind my vaginal fluids during oral sex, so why can't I do the same for him? I wish someone suggested this to me a long time ago.