What do I do about my man boobs?

Originally Published: March 31, 2006 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: June 30, 2010

I have man boobs and would like to lose them. What can I do to lose them? I am of average weight, but I just have this fat that gives me man boobs and I been depressed about it. I am trying my best to lose them and nothing seems to be working. I'd love to join a gym, but I am out of work so I need to do stuff at home. Do you have any tips on your site I can go to to help me lose them faster? I am currently taking supplement pills call "Cuts" and they don't really seem to be working or maybe I am not taking enough. Is starving good for the body? Hope you can help me out.

Your man boobs are probably caused by one of two things: gynecomastia or psuedogynecomastia. Psuedogynecomastia is just a fancy name for any extra fat men may have on their chests. On the other hand, gynecomastia is a condition that can cause a firm, breast-like tissue to develop on a man's chest, usually as a result of changes in their hormones during puberty or as they age. The tissue is usually less than 1 ½ inches across, and is located directly under the nipple. Gynecomastia is very common in teenage boys, and sometimes resolves itself within three months to three years. In rare cases, gynecomastia can be caused by legal or illegal drugs, tumors, or disease.

If you think you might have gynecomastia, you may want to make an appointment with your doctor, who can help you determine the cause and the appropriate treatment. If you think your man boobs are the result of normal, extra fat on your pectoral muscles, you might want to think about introducing exercise and nutrition into your daily routine.  There is no time table regarding how long it will take to get your chest in tip-top shape, but working out and eating better may make you feel better about the way you look.

You don't need to join a gym to get in shape; there's plenty you can do at home. Begin by walking, running, or cycling three days a week for thirty to forty-five minutes at a time, in your neighborhood or the closest park. It would be best to do some strength training, as well. In your case, push-ups may become your best friend, as they will build the pectoral muscles in your chest and give them definition. You can do push-ups anywhere, anytime. Nutrition may also play an important factor here. Think about eating five to six smaller meals instead of starving. Extreme dietary habits such as starving are not only unhealthy, but do not produce weight-loss results in the long run.

Making exercise and good nutrition a part of your everyday life is also a far healthier option than taking fat loss supplements. Recent research suggests that supplements such as Cuts are only a quick fix that will probably not work in the first place.

If you are still feeling depressed about your chest, you might feel better by contacting a counselor or therapist.  If you are a Columbia student you can call Counseling and Psychogical Services at x4-2878. 

For more information on gynecomastia you can check out:

KidsHealth.org
American Council on Exercise

National Academy of Sports Medicine

519488
Power T Shirts! They CHANGED My Life!! They look like regular t shirts but have some some type of material that flattens out your man boobs. Before I started working out, I used a “power t shirt...
Power T Shirts! They CHANGED My Life!! They look like regular t shirts but have some some type of material that flattens out your man boobs. Before I started working out, I used a “power t shirt” that looks like a regular t shirt that flattens out your chest and makes it look like you have no man boobs. They work really great. My life is so different that I even wrote the company and thanked them. The website is at http://www.chestfxstore.com if you would like to check them out. I really hope that this help you out.