Wet dreams — what's normal?

Originally Published: October 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: September 23, 2011
(1) Alice,

Are wet dreams in a sexually active 23-year-old male unusual?

—Voice HAS cracked

(2) Dear Alice,

I only had about 3-4 "wet dreams" in my entire life and now I'm 20. I wonder if it is normal, or it's because I masturbate often that I don't have these kinds of dreams. Is there a way of having one like that again?

— A Dreamer

Dear Voice HAS cracked and A Dreamer,

It is not unusual or abnormal for a sexually active 23-year-old male to experience wet dreams, or nocturnal emissions. Nor is it abnormal or unusual to have very few wet dreams if you are 20 or younger, especially if you masturbate often.

While it's true that wet dreams are much more common in adolescent males who are not pleasuring themselves to orgasm or having sex with others, wet dreams still may occur in "young adults," twenty to thirty-five years old. Men are more likely to have wet dreams when they are not discharging their semen through ejaculation, either with intercourse or masturbation. If you are not having wet dreams, it is probably because you are discharging your ejaculate when you masturbate. If you are having wet dreams, it may be because your body needs to discharge more semen than you are releasing via sex or masturbation. Either way, this is not something to worry about.

If you would like to have more wet dreams, you might try an experiment with yourself.... See what would happen if you were not to masturbate or have intercourse for a while, say a week or two. Maybe a wet dream would occur. Maybe not. Your body knows when and how to best take care of itself in this regard.

Either way, neither of you is having an "abnormal" experience.

Sweet dreams,

20526
Dear Alice, I'm commenting on the topic, Still having wet dreams? I'm a 41-year-old man, and I still have wet dreams, with my last being just a few days ago. So I'm definite...
Dear Alice, I'm commenting on the topic, Still having wet dreams? I'm a 41-year-old man, and I still have wet dreams, with my last being just a few days ago. So I'm definite proof that it's not just adolescents that have them. I'm happy to have such a healthy reproductive area.