Violent orgasms?

Originally Published: January 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: May 6, 2011

Alice—

I have just a small question. As I and my Love made love several times after not seeing each other for quite a while (months), she got these really violent contractions. They continued for several minutes and were almost spasmodic. I noticed though that later on I could provoke her body into making these contractions if I stimulated her in a certain way. Her muscles were clenching and unclenching all the way from her upper abdomen to her thighs. Our question is, what was this? Just healthy contractions from her orgasm or something else? It was quite frightening as the first time it happened it did last for several minutes and was so severe.

A Terrorist of Love

Dear A Terrorist of Love,

Sounds like a case of outrageous orgasms! Each person experiences orgasms in a unique, pleasure-filled way, and each orgasm can occur to varying degree. Your lover's intense contractions could simply be a normal part of her sexual response. Vaginal and uterine contractions are caused by myotonia, or increased muscle tension that occurs throughout the body during sexual arousal. The two of you may have discovered a new way to heighten her sensation. However, should your partner feel discomfort or pain during these contractions, it may be beneficial to speak with a health care provider.

The sexual cycle consists of four phases: excitement, plateau, orgasm, and resolution. Involuntary muscle contractions are caused by myotonia, which usually occurs during the orgasm stage of the sexual cycle. Increased muscle tension can occur throughout the body during sexual arousal, in the form of facial grimaces, spasmodic contractions of the hands and feet, and muscular spasms in the vagina, uterus, and anus during orgasm. Contractions typically last between 3 and 15 seconds. Mild orgasms can involve three or four contractions, although a very profound climax may number a dozen or more! Where the contractions occur and what sensations accompany them may change over time, or even between orgasms.

Individuals can change in their sexual response over time, depending on factors such as their emotional state, mood, physical stimulations, and partner. Erogenous zones are areas of the body that are particularly responsive to sexual stimulation. Stimulating these zones may help you achieve arousal and orgasm. Common erogenous zones include the neck, the lips, earlobes, nipples, and many others, although any place on your body that causes you to have a sexual response qualifies as an erogenous zone. Other than contractions, there are a plethora of other signs of pleasure to look out for, including:

• Changes in breathing
  • A feeling of warmth
  • Sweating
  • Body vibrations
  • Altered consciousness
  • A need or desire to moan or cry out

All in all, it is important to speak with your partner about how she feels, particularly during these intense contractions. Communication can bring you and your partner emotionally closer, and also ensure that your partner is not experiencing any pain during these contractions. You never know — while these contractions may surprise you, they could also provide monumental amounts of pleasure!