Vaginal "farts"?

Originally Published: September 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: August 14, 2009

Have you ever heard of vaginal farts? Well, most every time I have sex, especially in certain positions, air seems to get pushed inside of me and what happens sounds suspiciously like a fart. It's embarrassing. Any way to prevent this and does this happen to other women?

Desperate

Dear Desperate,

Yes, it does happen to other women, and yes, it can be embarrassing! Vaginal "farts," or "varts" as another reader once named them, occur when air gets into your vagina during arousal, penetration, and even exercise. During arousal, the vagina lengthens and the uterus moves, creating more air space. Often, the "fart" occurs when the walls of the vagina and uterus return to their unaroused positions. Extra lube may make the difference. You also may want to stay away from certain positions for a while, to spare yourself the embarrassment. Your other option is to say something like "It's awfully drafty in here," to distract your and your partner's attention from the noise. Or, just say, "Excuse me."

557297
This is SO not a big deal. I think every woman I've been with as done this at least once. It doesn't bother me at all. I don't even break pace when I hear it! LOL

554643
blame the man. my line is ' you pumped me full of air again' and laugh. no big deal. as long as hes not disgusted by bodily functions you guys can laugh it off together (:

550856
This happened to me the first time and I was very embarrsed :( but my partner was understanding and said he knew what it was , but oh lord was it embarrassing.

527737
It happened to me the first time after a few previous experience, it was Bizarre. but we both know where the fart came from and it did not smell bad at all. So we kinda laughed it off. It was good to...
It happened to me the first time after a few previous experience, it was Bizarre. but we both know where the fart came from and it did not smell bad at all. So we kinda laughed it off. It was good to know it is nothing wrong or dangerous though.

511186
This happens to me a lot! However for me the air and the pressure of penetration on top of it feel good. The release of the air used to be something I would get embarrassed at and give reason or...
This happens to me a lot! However for me the air and the pressure of penetration on top of it feel good. The release of the air used to be something I would get embarrassed at and give reason or explanation for, totally ruins the mood. Not anymore, as I know what the cause is...and feel no reason to make sure my partner is aware that it didn't come from my bum. LOL If it were I'd say excuse me! I went from embarrassment, to giggling, to just flat out ignoring it. Meh, it is what it is!!

508865
I hope this woman would feel better knowing that there are guys, myself included, that think queefs are pretty darned hot. Sex doesn't have to be clean and polite to be sexy. The opposite is great...
I hope this woman would feel better knowing that there are guys, myself included, that think queefs are pretty darned hot. Sex doesn't have to be clean and polite to be sexy. The opposite is great too; or better even.

508109
Yeah, my bf and I laugh when this happens, and I say it's his fault for pushing air up inside me. I see nothing shameful about this and refuse to be embarrassed. It's physics!

507615
Dear Desperate, Varts are completely natural and are not something to be ashamed of! If your partner is really committed, he or she will not mind varts. I know that the first time my partner and I...
Dear Desperate, Varts are completely natural and are not something to be ashamed of! If your partner is really committed, he or she will not mind varts. I know that the first time my partner and I tried a new position and it happened, she was very taken aback, and much to my dismay because I really enjoyed the position! then she realized how much I enjoyed it, and it hasn't been a problem since! (though it has happened frequently!) Just remind your partner to focus on the pleasure of sex, not on the consequences. If we focused on the consequences of sex, we would all realize how loud we were being and how silly we looked and we wouldn't be able to have any fun! :)

21532
To the reader,

Honestly, I think it's nonsense that you'd have to "distract" your partner from a queef. First of all, they're often too loud to cover them up during intercourse, and a queef isn't...

To the reader,

Honestly, I think it's nonsense that you'd have to "distract" your partner from a queef. First of all, they're often too loud to cover them up during intercourse, and a queef isn't something you should need to apologize for. It's the same as making farting sounds in your arm pit. No stink, no foul.

21218
Dear Desperate,

Yes — it happens to me too. But be thankful that it happens to you during sex, with someone you are (hopefully) pretty comfortable with. With me, it happens when I do a...

Dear Desperate,

Yes — it happens to me too. But be thankful that it happens to you during sex, with someone you are (hopefully) pretty comfortable with. With me, it happens when I do a headstand in my yoga class. Air gets sucked in when I strain my abdominal muscles, and when I come back down the air puffs out in embarrassing little poofs. Sometimes there are quite a few, and they are sort of loud. It happens around people I barely know and am not comfortable with. I just hope they think I made the noise with my mouth or something!

You thought you had it bad!

20754

This is in response to Vaginal "farts"?:

I don't know how old that answer was, but there is now a commonly accepted...

I don't know how old that answer was, but there is now a commonly accepted term for these: "queef," noun or verb. "I queefed." "I let out a queef." Books and magazines I've read (e.g., Cosmopolitan) use this term. Love your web site and just thought I'd give you a heads up on that!

-Reads too much Cosmo

20425

I have a comment on the question and answer concerning vaginal farts or "varts" as they were called. It was stated that this happens to some women during sexual intercourse, but I want to...

I have a comment on the question and answer concerning vaginal farts or "varts" as they were called. It was stated that this happens to some women during sexual intercourse, but I want to add that it can happen whenever a women has an orgasm, not necessarily just during penetration.