Underwear ''laws''?

Originally Published: March 23, 2001 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: September 16, 2005

Why do people have to wear underwear?

They don't. Well, maybe there are some places, cultures, and religions that require wearing some sort of undergarments, but chances are that you're talking about the expectation that we all don briefs, bras, boxers, panties, jocks, thongs, and what have you.

Underwear does provide the breasts, buttocks, and penis with support, chafing protection, and perspiration absorption, and helps keep outerwear free of smells and stains from stray excretions. It's possible that breasts, buttocks, and genitalia free to frolic and feel around inside shirts and pants can cause some excitement for you and those in your vicinity. An additional underwear barrier between our "private parts" and the outside world may satisfy some who'd rather not be reminded of, or get anywhere near, that stuff. Indeed, according to Elaine Benson and John Esten's book, Unmentionables: A Brief History of Underwear, undies — especially for women — were developed, in part, as a Victorian attempt to control and hide genitalia and physique. All the baby talk nicknames that are still substituted for underwear — scanties, snuggles, skivvies, and smalls, to name a few more — are another indication of our ongoing discomfort with the contents of our underclothes.

So, will you do time if nothing comes between you and your Calvins? Ironically, Mr. Klein may not want you to know this, but going without his or anyone else's when out and about is healthy (barring some of the "side effects" mentioned before), liberating, and yes, sexy. Because there's this widely held belief that underwear should be worn at all times — even when sleeping — not conforming can feel daring, "dangerous," empowering, and thus, a turn-on. Now, if you start rubbing up against people in the post office, or proudly pitching tents at the train station, your newfound freedom has derailed and may land your bare ass in jail. It's your choice to wear or not to wear; and not everyone wants, or has, to know about it.

If you're contemplating keeping that underwear drawer closed tomorrow morning, or trying to convince someone else to take a walk on the wild side, this is another one of those life experiments that need not lead to permanent change. If you get caught in your zipper, or you just get second thoughts about your choice, your underwear ain't goin' anywhere. You can even carry a pair around with you in case you suddenly want to slip into something more comfortable.

20970

I've actually found myself in the opposite situation. I just started wearing underwear again for the first time in years, and while it isn't nearly as comfortable as wearing nothing...

I've actually found myself in the opposite situation. I just started wearing underwear again for the first time in years, and while it isn't nearly as comfortable as wearing nothing at all, I've never felt sexier or more aroused. I think it's about human nature and wanting a taste of what you don't have. If you were raised very liberally, I think that you will find societal restrictions, such as the "law" that you can only take off your underwear when you're showering, using the bathroom, or having sex, very attractive, while if you were raised very strictly, you will find rebelling and shedding your underwear very attractive. The grass is always greener...