Troubled by attraction to tall women

Originally Published: March 3, 2000 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: January 25, 2013

I'm a seventeen-year-old man and my problem is that I only like tall girls and I don't feel anything about shorter, beautiful girls. It's something that troubles me and I would like some advice. Thanks!

One size doesn’t fit all in this situation because everyone comes in different shapes and sizes. As cliché as it may sound, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What attracts you to another individual doesn’t have to conform to any norms or standards aside from your own personal preference.

You mentioned liking only tall girls and not having the same feelings toward shorter girls. Why do you think this might be? Are you concerned because you feel you should be attracted to shorter women? What about liking tall women is troubling to you? By answering these questions, perhaps you will feel less troubled about your attraction to taller women. After all, there is nothing shameful or wrong about being attracted to taller women.    

If you are still conflicted or troubled by your attraction to taller women, or if you would like to talk to someone about it, feel free to seek support by making an appointment with a professional counselor or therapist. Columbia students on the Morningside campus can make an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services. Students at the Medical Center can make an appointment with Mental Health Services.

522624
As a tall woman who has struggled with feeling attractive because of her height (6'), I have to say the following. Though I appreciate that the reader is troubled by his attraction to tall women, I...
As a tall woman who has struggled with feeling attractive because of her height (6'), I have to say the following. Though I appreciate that the reader is troubled by his attraction to tall women, I was very happy to hear that there is a man out there for whom this feature (with which I'm not always comfortable) is attractive. Thank you for the indirect compliment and flattery :) FYI I've never dated a man who was taller than me and have only ever been in love with men who were shorter (one was more than 6" shorter than me). When I'm feeling cheeky I say, "it's all the same lying down."