Tilted uterus

Originally Published: December 20, 2002 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: February 18, 2005

My professor in my health class made it an assignment to come visit this web-site and I have enjoyed it! I was wondering if you can give me more information on a tilted uterus? Recently when I went for my yearly, my doctor told me I had a tilted uterus and that it might cause me discomfort. Is this something you are born with or something that happens through sexual intercourse? Will I have any future problems from having a tilted uterus?

Thank you,
Unsure

Dear Unsure,

A woman is born with her uterus in a certain position. A uterus can be tilted forward (a.k.a. anteverted uterus) toward the bladder, or backward (a.k.a. retroverted uterus) toward the rectum. Anteverted uteruses are more common, accounting for about 2/3 of all tilted uteruses in women. A retroverted uterus is a normal variation, similar to being left-handed instead of right-handed. Sexual intercourse cannot shift the position of a woman's uterus. Pregnancy, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), fibroids, surgery, and aging, however, can change the angle of the uterus.

Some women who have a retroverted uterus can feel discomfort during sexual intercourse or vaginal penetration at times, because of pressure on the rectum and ligaments of the tailbone. For these women, they may find that some sexual positions and/or degree of thrusting are more comfortable than others. If penetration is persistently painful and/or a woman's periods are causing severe pain, she needs to see a gynecologist or women's health care nurse practitioner. Endometriosis and PID can be associated with a retroverted uterus.

Some people worry that having a retroverted uterus could cause problems with fertility. Fortunately, infertility is not connected with retroversion of the uterus. If endometriosis or PID is associated with a woman's uterus being retroverted, however, successful conception could be more difficult. These conditions cause scar tissue to develop, hindering the egg and sperm from meeting for fertilization to occur.

No one knows what the future will bring in terms of your own uterine tilt. You and your health care provider can remain aware of your uniqueness and can monitor or watch for any changes or impact it may have.

516085
I'm 52 years old now, but I remember when I was about 22, I started going to a GYN. I remember after my first exam, he told me that I had a tilted uterus. I was naive and obviously had no idea what...
I'm 52 years old now, but I remember when I was about 22, I started going to a GYN. I remember after my first exam, he told me that I had a tilted uterus. I was naive and obviously had no idea what that meant. I remember asking him if that was good or bad, and he just chuckled (he knew I was young, not married or looking to get pregnant) and he said, "It's good. It's good. Don't worry. It means that when you start having babies, you won't have any problems...you can put out an elephant." I was so embarrassed by his comment because I wasn't sure if it was a compliment or an insult, but years later I would find out. At age 38, I conceived my 4th child and at age 39, I vaginally delivered, naturally, with no epidural or other pain killers, a healthy 10lb.-4oz. baby boy. So, I am assuming that the comment from my first GYN was definitely a compliment! I don't believe having a tilted uterus hinders one getting pregnant, but because of having a tilted uterus, you may be susceptible to having other problems like endometriosis which can prevent you from getting pregnant. If you are having difficulty conceiving, it's best to go to a GYN. They can diagnose your problem and give you the treatment, help and advice you need. My only suggestion is to find a GYN that you are totally comfortable with and one that takes the time to listen to you and your concerns and explains things clearly to you so you understand. Don't go to any doctor that treats you like a number instead of a person. I've been to some that when they finally get inside the exam room with me, have acted like they are being tested on how fast they can get in and out of the exam room! Good Luck and Best Wishes.

20861

I also have a retroverted (tilted) uterus and I'm sure mine was from birth. I have always had a lot of discomfort with deep penetrative sex and some positions. such as him coming...

I also have a retroverted (tilted) uterus and I'm sure mine was from birth. I have always had a lot of discomfort with deep penetrative sex and some positions. such as him coming from behind. I have been able to get pregnant twice, though, so I don't think it necessarily affects fertility. Good luck!