Jan 27, 2017

Remedy for sweaty palms?

Can something be done about my sweaty palms? Other than carrying around a container of baby powder wherever I go, is there a permanent remedy to this problem? Sometimes my hands are very dry, but usually they get unusually damp. I know this kind of question was answered before, but I want to know if there is a permanent remedy. Thanks.

— Water Hands

No sweat: Could it be anhidrosis?

I have a wonderful daughter who is very active and loves to play soccer. The problem for her is that she never seems to sweat and her face turns bright red, which concerns us greatly. She loves to have her face cooled with a cold towel when she comes to the sideline. None of her other teammates seem to have this problem, however, and she seems to be normally hydrated before her games and practices. I've heard of the condition anhidrosis (lack of sweat), but can't seem to find much on this. Can you help?

Thank you.

Sweat, fabric dye, oh my!

(1) Dear Alice,

I got a new sweatshirt and either my deodorant or my sweat radically changes the color in the armpit area. This is a beige sweatshirt, and the color it changed to is almost as if it were bleached and turned an odd shade or bright-orangeish. Is there anything I can do? Or is it simply a bad dye...?

(2) Alice,

Why do deodorants stain my t-shirts with a yellowish color? Is there a brand that doesn't do this?

Soaking in sweat and seeking solutions

I am a 26 year old male and currently a first-year business student. I have always had a sweating problem which traces back to my childhood. However, my sweating was restricted mainly to my hands. Sweaty palms are annoying enough, but now I realize that this is only a minor nuisance compared with the one I have now. Large crowds and high intensity environments make me uncomfortable; I often find myself sweating profusely at these meetings.

Alice, is there something wrong with my metabolism? I am in decent shape and make it to the gym at least three times a week. I really don't feel as nervous as I appear. Unfortunately, it's hard not to be embarrassed by the fact that the Atlantic Ocean is on my forehead. It is the conspicuous sweating that makes me sweat even more because I feel as if the entire world is staring right at me! How can I correct this sweating problem? Is it a physical or an emotional problem?

Walking Sponge