Fitting exercise into a busy schedule

Hey Alice,

I really want to lose some weight, but I go to school and I don't have the time. Now that school is out, I have the time to exercise. But the summer will be over faster than a snap of the finger. So what is a good exercise to really work out my inner thighs, stomach, and my hips? What are some really good exercises that don't take too long (but are a really good work-out) that I can work into my busy schedule?

A

What exactly does moderate intensity mean?

I've seen a gazillion articles lately about exercising for "30 minutes at moderate intensity," but they always describe moderate intensity as walking at four miles an hour. I can't walk at four miles an hour because of mechanics; my legs seem to be just the length to have to switch from walking to jogging at about four miles an hour, so I can't do the walk to be able to figure out what "moderate intensity" feels like. Can you give any other measure for what is "moderate" and what is "intense" — percentage of maximum heart rate or METS or anything like that?

— Confused

Exercise motivation... for stress reduction

Does exercise really reduce stress? I recently took a new job that is very high stress, and I need a release. My friend says I should take up mountain biking, that it will reduce my stress (and keep me from gaining weight at this desk job). Thanks for the great site.

How to choose/use exercise DVDs

I have a busy schedule (don't we all?) but I've been experimenting with different ways to stay active. I like the idea of using an exercise DVD but there are so many of them out there that I'm having a hard time deciding which one would be right for me. In addition, a lot of workout DVDs make crazy claims about weight loss or muscle gains that I don't think are credible (or even desirable!). I'm not trying to lose a ton of weight or have a great body — I just want to be more active and challenge myself to get in better shape. I don't want an exercise DVD that's going to push me way past my limits or overtrain me in the hopes of getting these results.

What should I look for when I'm picking an exercise DVD? Are there particular instructors, brands, companies, etc. that are more or less reputable? How do I find something that's not too challenging, but still pushes me? Also, do you have any suggestions on how to start an at-home fitness regimen?

Kickstart for getting healthy eating and exercise plan in gear?

I've lost all my motivation to eat right and exercise within the past six months and I'm starting to gain weight and feel tired most of the time. What can I do to get back on track? I don't have the same desires to stay fit and this scares me... please HELP!!!!

In dire need of a diet/work out routine.