Jul 07, 2017

Can't stop chewing Nicorette (nicotine gum)!

I have a very addictive personality. Fortunately, I am married and have a family and because of the added responsibility of taking care of my family I stay away from a lot of the harmful vices. However, for some stupid reason I decided to try out nicorette. I quit smoking about 12 years ago and thought I would just try out nicorette to see if I could get a buzz. Well two years later I am totally hooked on the stuff and wondering if I should start smoking/chew/patch to get off the stuff. How bad is nicorette for you and is it better than smoking?

— The idiot.

Dorm mate's smoking is making me sick!?!

I recently started a graduate program, and am sharing an apartment (within a dormitory) with other grad. students. My next-door neighbor smokes (even though it is a violation of university policy to smoke in the dorm), and the smoke usually seeps into my room through our shared bathroom. Since starting my program, I have had what seems to be a constant cold. My GP first said it was the flu (this was about 1.5 months ago), and I had just gotten over that when I got another cold. Could this be related to the secondhand smoke, and if so, what can I do to prevent getting colds? I have a suppressed immune system to begin with, which I'm sure has something to do with it, and would like to remain healthy.

Constantly Sniffling

Does smoking reduce sperm count?

I heard somewhere that smoking reduces your sperm count. Is this true? How else, other than being a carcinogen, is smoking harmful?

Scared of Smoking