Feb 24, 2017

Training for a marathon

I'll soon begin training for the NYC Marathon in November. What type of weight training exercises and schedules are recommended for long distance runners?

Smokin' runner

Can you tell me if running (jogging) and smoking can go together? I smoke about twenty cigarettes per day. Is it good to go to the gym and smoke? Is it better for my health than staying home and watching TV?

Jogging injury: Stress fracture

I have a mild stress fracture from jogging. How long should I allow for it to heal? Also, what are some other good activities I can do so I don't get too stressed out and fat while waiting for it to heal?

Out of Synch

How much rest between runs?

I wanted to know how many days of rest is recommended between workouts. I heard it was three days on to one day off...is this enough? I workout on a treadmill for 50 minutes every day and have for the last 14 months. I was not aware of how rest played a very important role until I recently read a brief article on it. I guess my question is, do I need to take that day of rest and how important is it?

Thank You, G.