Crystal Clear

Sep 22, 2017

What to use on clogged pores: Salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide?

For years I have had acne. People always say to use salicylic acid products to prevent clogged pores. When I use it, though, I end up getting tiny raised bumps all over the area. Is this some type of an allergic reaction? So, instead of salicylic acid, I should use benzoyl peroxide, right? But that only gets rid of zits, it doesn't help with clogged pores. What should I do?

Blue light therapy for acne?

I recently stumbled upon something called ANSR Beam on a blog talking about acne control. I've been trying to look into the blue light therapy it claims to use to help diminish acne, but am having a hard time finding any information about it. What is blue light therapy? Is it effective in treating acne? And would something like this at home blue light therapy be strong enough to be effective?

Greasy foods lead to acne and gallbladder problems?

I have had terrible stomach problems for a few years now. My doctor says it's due to my love of greasy and oily foods, and that I should concentrate on eating healthier, broiled foods. Do you think if I continue on this unhealthy eating cycle, that I could develop gallbladder problems? Also, do you think my diet contributes to my acne-prone skin? Thanks for your help.

— Grease lover

Antibiotics and acne

(1) Dear Alice,

What medications do you recommend for acne?

Pimples

(2) Dear Alice,

I would like to know something about acne. I am a high school student, and have gotten acne. I got it for more than two years, and would like to find a way to cure it. I currently use Neutrogena's Acne face wash, Neutrogena's overnight acne treatment, and some face washers. They have decreased, but I really want them to be gone.

I also read that fatty foods don't contribute to acne, but any case, I still eat low-fat foods for healthy reasons.

I hope you can help me. Thanks a lot for your help.

Anxious about Acne

Birth control pills to regulate period and acne?

My doctor suggested to me that I start on birth control to regulate my menstrual cycle and also to help with my acne problem. I have gone to a dermatologist for four years and my face still breaks out. Do you think that I should try the birth control pill or would the side effects outweigh the benefits? I worry about the weight gain mostly.