Surprise! It's Masturbation!

Originally Published: October 11, 1996 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: July 9, 1998

As young girls, my friend and I discovered that the simple activity of shimmying up the pole at the playground would produce a wonderful tingling feeling! Later, we realized that this was probably sexual in nature! Is this type of activity a common occurrence among youngsters? Could the simple muscular tension involved cause orgasms?

Is it common? Yes. Movements that give pleasurable sensations are common for youngsters (as well as for oldsters). For years, sexual arousal and orgasm have been observed and recorded in young children. Similarly, sex play, such as "doctor," is also common since children are naturally curious about their bodies.

Can it cause orgasm? Yes, yes, yes! If the sensations are intense enough, muscle tension and/or clitoral pressure can and does cause arousal, pleasure, and orgasm.

20545
Alice, I remember thinking, when I was about four or five, that sitting on a fence with my legs spread and wiggling a little bit felt really nice. At the time, I had no idea this was connected to...
Alice, I remember thinking, when I was about four or five, that sitting on a fence with my legs spread and wiggling a little bit felt really nice. At the time, I had no idea this was connected to anything sexual. Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who did this sort of thing unknowingly as a child.