Stinging pain in abdomen

Originally Published: October 1, 1993 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: May 29, 2015

Alice—

I have a sharp, stinging pain in my abdomen, upper-left quadrant. It is tender to the touch, and hurts when I walk. What is it? I have no money to go to the doctor. What should I do?

—Bellyache

Dear Bellyache,

If you have severe abdominal pain, it's important to visit a health care provider as soon as possible in order to get an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment (both things you can't get online). There are many potential explanation for abdominal pain and tenderness, including (but not limited to)

• Ulcers
  • Gallstones
  • Pancreatitis
  • Bacterial infection
  • Giardia
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Food poisoning
  • Gastroenteritis
  • Diverticulitis

If not treated promptly, some of these conditions can have consequences for your health. If you can't visit your primary provider right away, acute abdominal pain is a good reason to go to the emergency room. Although medical care can be expensive, it's still a small price to pay for your health.

For more information or to make an appointment, check out these recommended resources:

Medical Services (Morningside)

Student Health Services (CUMC)

Urgent Care