Sores in mouth — worry?

Originally Published: September 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: July 13, 2010

I've been getting sores in my mouth frequently. Should I be worried?

—Exposed

Dear Exposed,

Not only are mouth sores irritating (literally!), they may arise from dozens of reasons. They range from loose dentures or braces to viruses, colds, and fungal infections, just to name a few. The American Dental Association's (ADA) webpage on Canker Sores, Cold Sores & Common Mouth Sores describes and explains some of the most common causes of the sores and how they can be treated. You can also search the related Q&A's from the Go Ask Alice! archives listed below for more information on a specific type of sore.

Although these online resources can be great for background information, the best way to soothe your sores (and any concerns you might have about them) is to see your health care provider or dentist. S/he may help you figure out what might be causing them and why they happen frequently for you. S/he may provide you more specific information on how to prevent and treat them in the future. If you are a Columbia student, you can use Open Communicator or call x4-2284 to make an appointment with Primary Care Medical Services. Or, if you think your sores are related to dental issues, find out more about how to see a dentist at Dental Care Options.

Good luck and happy healing!