Reflex erections

Originally Published: October 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: August 11, 1998

Should a normal man's penis become erect for a certain number of times throughout one day (without any external stimulus)? Or, do these erections occur only while a man is sleeping? I have been masturbating once every day or every other day, and I have noticed that I rarely get any of those spontaneous erections during the day at all. Plus, I have been waking up with no morning erection during the past week. Have I been masturbating too much?

—Worried

Dear Worried,

Teenage boys have reflex erections (with no external stimulus) during any time of the day or night. As men get older, these reflex erections become less frequent and direct touching becomes necessary to produce erections. It is not clear how old you are, but you may just be experiencing part of the maturation process, and soon you will start to have erections at more "appropriate" times. And, masturbation may or may not affect your morning erections — you'll see what happens with your own body.

20395
Dear Alice, I used to get erections a lot and at bad times, like in gym class and swimming practice, even leaving wet spots sometimes if I stayed erect for a while. I masturbated around two times/...
Dear Alice, I used to get erections a lot and at bad times, like in gym class and swimming practice, even leaving wet spots sometimes if I stayed erect for a while. I masturbated around two times/week, which is as often as I wanted to and felt I needed. I read REFLEX ERECTIONS and some of your other Q&As on masturbation and they were very helpful for me. From other's experiences I read, I came to the conclusion that I needed to ejaculate far more often. I started masturbating twice a day. I had to work at it and force myself to cum since I was dry and came very little at first though. The erections problem went away. I just turned fifteen and it's been five months now and my body must have adjusted since I am easily able to ejaculate a large load twice a day. I enjoy the feeling of ejaculating so much more intensely and often now. I only wish I could have been enjoying it since years ago. I feel like I have been repressed for so long and missed so much pleasure. It works, it feels great, your body needs it, and it's healthy. Why is this kept such a secret? Repressed too Long