Quick hickey fix?

Originally Published: May 1, 1998 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: August 7, 2009

What is the fastest way to get rid of a bruise on the neck caused from kissing and sucking too hard (of course, I mean a hickey). My mom will flip out if she sees it and it's very obvious. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but... there is no magic or "fast way" to get rid of a hickey. In fact, there is no way to get rid of one other than by being patient (or impatient, but that just makes it seem longer). Just as you cannot make a bruise on your arm go away quickly, you cannot make one on your neck disappear.

Of course, you have a range of cover-up options, such as make-up, and creative uses of shirt collars, scarves, and turtlenecks. You may be able to disguise the hickey for a few days until it becomes less noticeable. Or, you can act like there's nothing wrong and be careful not to draw attention to the hickey. Maybe then your mom will not notice.

Chances are, however, that she will notice. You need to be prepared for the moment of truth. What makes you think your mom will "flip out?" You are growing up and beginning to explore the sexual side of yourself. This is natural. Your mother went through the same thing. She may even be able to offer advice, or a funny story about her mother.

Good luck with the healing, and if you choose, concealing of the hickey.

522613
If you take a comb and rub the hickey area for quite some time, it will turn the bruise into a bigger red patch and it will then heal overnight. The teeth of the comb clear the collected blood from...
If you take a comb and rub the hickey area for quite some time, it will turn the bruise into a bigger red patch and it will then heal overnight. The teeth of the comb clear the collected blood from the area. I have done this on myself on several occasions when young and it works well.

521082
toothpaste leave it over the night, it doesnt just magicly disaper but it helps it go away faster! works for me!

520564
I think there is a solution Alice, applying ice in that spot and slowly rubbing it to the hickey does wonders. Just press and rotate ice on that spot and you'll be okay, it works for me!

519922
Twist the cap of a lipstick or chap stick tube in a circular motion over the hickey for several minutes at a time. Works best for me.

21581

A quick hicky fix that I use is ice and a comb. Place ice on the hickey as long as you can stand it and then take a comb and rub it across the hickey. I got one on a Sunday and...

A quick hicky fix that I use is ice and a comb. Place ice on the hickey as long as you can stand it and then take a comb and rub it across the hickey. I got one on a Sunday and by Tuesday the hickey was gone.

21477
To the reader,

I have used arnica ointments on bruises and hickeys, Pomada de Arnica to be exact, and it works after about a day.

To the reader,

21419
Hey! I know this may sound old school, but if you put a spoon in the freezer and then lay it on your hickey it helps! Or sleeping with Toothpaste on the hickey helps as well. Good luck!

20550

I was reading and I found the section dealing with hickeys... And I have one thing to say: if you don't want to get hickeys, then tell your partners... If they continue to give them...

I was reading and I found the section dealing with hickeys... And I have one thing to say: if you don't want to get hickeys, then tell your partners... If they continue to give them to you (and I bruise VERY easily, so even lingering contact on my neck makes me suspicious), then tell them to back off. I personally, tap my partner's shoulder and verbally remind him that I bruise quickly and that I really do not appreciate getting them.

Of course... there ARE quick fixes. One of my personal favorites can be concocted quite easily in the privacy of your own home... If you spread toothpaste on it (just a thin layer!), it will lighten the area, and then if you apply powder makeup (get some from your girlfriend!), it often looks like it is skin, or maybe a reeeeeally old bruise, one that is moments away from healing.

Kryptonite

20312
Hi Alice!

In my readings of your awesome advice to the Quick hickey fix? person, I noticed you didn't mention a way to help prevent the inflicted hickey(s) — or...

Hi Alice!

In my readings of your awesome advice to the Quick hickey fix? person, I noticed you didn't mention a way to help prevent the inflicted hickey(s) — or other bruises, for that matter — from getting as colorful and sore. I don't know if this is a medically sound practice or not, but in my own experiences, after noticing the pain of a "love bite" or just plain getting smacked hard with an object, I like to put an ice pack on the injury for about fifteen minutes. Whenever I have done this, either the area doesn't bruise at all or else the bruise that does occur is fairly light, not nearly as sore as a full blown bruise, and it goes away quickly. Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Keep up the grand work!

She Who Hates Bruises