Pierced clit

Originally Published: February 10, 1995 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: April 13, 2007

I would like to know what you've heard about pierced clitori. I've been told that the clitoris is one of the fastest parts of the body to heal after it is pierced, and that piercing it heightens sexual pleasure. Is there any truth to these rumors?

The first thing to keep in mind about clitoral piercings is that the area being pierced is usually not the clitoris itself.  What many people refer to as a “clit piercing” is actually a piercing of the skin around or near the clitoris or other genital area.  Piercing of the clitoris is very rare both because many women's anatomies are not ideally suited to clit piercing (clitoris is not large enough to pierce and/or support the weight of jewelry) and the act of piercing the clit is often too intense for many women.  However, piercing a bundle of 8,000 nerves that has a primary purpose of sexual arousal would most definitely make sex feel more intense.

The most common clitoral-area piercing is the Vertical Clitoral Hood (VCH). As the name implies, the VCH is a piercing vertically through the clitoral hood (the skin covering the glans of the clitoris). The other types of female genital piercings include Horizontal Clitoral Hood (HCH - a horizontal hood piercing above the clitoris), “triangle” piercing (piercing the base of the clitoral hood similarly to the HCH, but below the clitoris), both inner and outer labial piercing, and the very rare piercing of the actual clitoris.

Healing time for female genital piercings differ based on what, exactly, is pierced.  The VCH usually heals in about 1-4 weeks, while the HCH heals in 6-8 weeks and the "triangle" takes about 2-3 months.  An actual clit piercing can take about 4-6 weeks to heal.  Genital tissue is very vascular and flexible and will generally heal more quickly compared to ear cartilage, navels and noses, which can take approximately six months to heal.  Also, keep in mind that healing time is often relative to a person's individual body.

Each type of genital piercing, and even the same piercing on different women, may result in different physical sensations. The kind, shape, and weight of the adornment and where it touches the genitals all affect a woman's pleasure.  The VCH is the more popular clit piercing because it usually fits most comfortably with a woman's body shape and the placement allows the jewelry to stimulate the clitoris through direct contact.  The "triangle" piercing also directly stimulates the clitoris, but from the underside.  The HCH and labial piercings are less common and often times done for purely aesthetic reasons since the jewelry does not directly stimulate the clitoris. Once healed, a woman can experiment with various sizes and lengths of jewelry to express beauty and/or generate sensation.

Generally speaking, clit piercings would not decrease sensitivity, but they may change the physical sensations during sex.  Women may remove the jewelry and allow the piercing to heal in order to bring sensitivity back to its original state.  Some research suggests that a supposed loss of sensitivity is more likely due to the fact that a woman may become accustomed to the level of stimulation felt with the piercing and does not actually signify a decrease in feeling. 

When it comes to sexuality and sexual acts, personal preferences and comfort vary with each person.  Just as some favor certain sexual positions, others respond more to specific piercings, especially those below the belt. 

For more detailed recommendations and a list of precautions regarding piercings of the clitoris, check out the Association of Professional Piercers website, as well as the links they provide to other piercing-related sites.  And remember, any piercing should be done under safe and sanitary conditions in a location that is credentialed.

21219

You are correct that clitoris piercing is rare, but it is done. I know because I had mine pierced about 5 years ago. I am fortunate to have the right anatomy, with a largish clit. It was...

You are correct that clitoris piercing is rare, but it is done. I know because I had mine pierced about 5 years ago. I am fortunate to have the right anatomy, with a largish clit. It was quite intense, for a moment, ached for a few days, and then gradually became a joy! ;-)

Sensitivity was greatly increased in the beginning, to the point of almost being unbearable, but now it has settled in, and for most of the time I hardly notice it. I occasionally get a surprise sensation when I sit a certain way, not painful, but just a nice tug. It is fantastic during sex, and has changed my whole orgasmic response.

It is risky however, and I would not recommend it to everybody.