Penis and braces don't mix?

Originally Published: March 19, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: October 5, 2007

A couple of weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were having oral sex and... well, to make a long story short, my penis got "snagged" on her braces and I received a deep cut on my head. I put Neosporin on it every night for a week, but the cut doesn't seem to be healing very quickly. I don't want to go to Health Services because of the embarrassing nature of the problem.

Help me quickly, please, because it also is very painful to urinate, let alone have any sexual activity. I was also wondering if there was a risk in contracting any STDs from this occurrence? I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

— Painful penis

Dear Painful penis,

Ouch! First off, the most important thing to do is make sure your penis is healing properly. Yes, this involves a visit to your health care provider (or your school's health center), but keep in mind that health care providers have seen and heard of just about everything, and are trained to be professional under every circumstance. To prevent possible infection, not to mention to alleviate your physical discomfort when urinating and having sex, it really is important to visit the health center. If you're too embarrassed to tell the whole story, you can start by saying you have a cut on your penis that is slow to heal. Period. If your health care provider needs more information, they will ask you. If you are at Columbia, you can make an appointment by calling x4-2284 or logging on to Open Communicator.

Regarding sexually transmitted infections (STIs), it's true that an open cut places you at greater risk for getting them — but only if you have unprotected sex with an infected partner. Wearing a condom, limiting yourself to 'over-the-clothes' making out, or abstaining from sexual activity until your penis has completely healed are options to consider.

And, to prevent another possibly uncomfortable mishap the next time your girlfriend goes down on you, take things slowly, gently, and cautiously. Avoid sudden movements. Communicating with each other can be key — continually check in with each other by asking "is this okay?" (in your own words or phrases) throughout pleasuring, to keep it going without pain.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

21328
My 2nd sexual partner had braces, and during her performance of oral sex, I ejaculated, and as I did I pushed her head onto me a little deeper. Unfortunately for me, a little clasp on her brace...
My 2nd sexual partner had braces, and during her performance of oral sex, I ejaculated, and as I did I pushed her head onto me a little deeper. Unfortunately for me, a little clasp on her brace pierced the underside of my penis, a little 1mm x 1mm hole along the "stringy" bit which attached head to foreskin.

It took about 2 weeks to heal fully, and even then masturbation was only possible with minimal movement. It will take a time to heal due to the penis having soft and delicate tissue, as well as a rich blood supply during arousal, not to mention the expansion of tissue size during an erection, which could slow down the process.

It will all get well in time, just go easy on the lil' guy 'til then :)