Pain when urinating after sex

Originally Published: April 10, 1995 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: December 27, 2011

About 6 months ago, I experienced pain when urinating after having intercourse. Typically I have pain/burning the first time I urinate after sex, but then the pain tends to go away or diminish. I am a 38-year-old male. I have no pain otherwise.

— Burning

Dear Burning,

Continual or frequent pain with urination usually signifies a urinary tract infection (UTI) or a sexually transmitted infection (STI).

However, infrequent discomfort in urination following intercourse may be due to a number of different things. You may be experiencing an allergic reaction to a specific spermicide that is present on a condom or to a lubricant that you may be using. You can try condoms with different spermicides or different lubricants to see if this may be the case.

Pain with urination after sex can be common if you have a full bladder during sex. Try emptying your bladder right before you have sex, and see if that works for you in alleviating pain. Another possible cause is a condition called "lover's nuts," which occurs if you stay in high arousal for a long period of time prior to ejaculating — everything can be painful afterwards, including urination.

To be on the safe side, you need to see a health provider to discuss your symptoms and be checked for common STIs and UTIs, in addition to making these minor changes in your sexual patterns.