Pain when urinating after sex

Originally Published: April 10, 1995 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 17, 2015

About 6 months ago, I experienced pain when urinating after having intercourse. Typically I have pain/burning the first time I urinate after sex, but then the pain tends to go away or diminish. I am a 38-year-old male. I have no pain otherwise.

— Burning

Dear Burning,

It's understandable that you'd like to know a little more about this uncomfortable experience. While continual or frequent pain with urination might signify a urinary tract infection (UTI) or a sexually transmitted infection (STI), infrequent discomfort in urination following intercourse may be due to a number of different things. You can find comfort in company by reading the related question "Pain after masturbating at night". 

You may be experiencing an allergic reaction to a specific spermicide that is present on a condom or to a lubricant that you may be using. You can try condoms with different spermicides, without spermicide, or try a change in lubricants to see if an allergy may be the cause.

Pain with urination after sex can be common if you have a full bladder during sex. Try emptying your bladder right before you have sex, and see if that works for you in alleviating pain. Another possible cause is a condition called "lover's nuts," which occurs if you stay in high arousal for a long period of time prior to ejaculating — everything can be painful afterwards, including urination.

If you make the minor changes mentioned above and continue to have concerns, you could visit with your health care provider to discuss your symptoms and be checked for common STIs and UTIs.

Hope this answers your burning question.

For more information or to make an appointment, check out these recommended resources:

Medical Services (Morningside)

Student Health Services (CUMC)