Oral sex with menthol drop

Originally Published: October 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: May 27, 2011

I've been thinking of different things I can do to please my girlfriend when we hook up, and one thing that's come to mind is while administering cunnilingus, maybe I could suck on a menthol cough drop. I think that would feel pretty cool. Is that safe? Is that abnormal?

Tickler

Dear Tickler,

As long as you both adhere to the credo of safe, sane, and consensual, there is nothing abnormal or wrong with sexual experimentation. Menthol can be a great way to spice things up, but it should be handled with care. The clitoris has a higher concentration of nerve endings than any other part of the human body — twice as much as the head of the penis. So, too much menthol on a clitoris can create an uncomfortable burning sensation.

Menthol chemically triggers the cold–sensitive receptors in the skin, creating that spicy but cooling sensation when eaten, applied to the skin, or inhaled. It is commonly found in head–cold relief products (like Vicks vapor rub), topical muscle relaxants, and strong mints. Menthol or similar chemicals can be found in toothpaste and mouthwash, too. Some sexual lubricants and massage oils also have menthol or similar substances.

If you want to try menthol, start mild. Start by brushing your teeth before sex. (Note: It sounds as though you are not using barriers when you have oral sex. Know that brushing your teeth right before sex can create micro-tears in your mouth and make you more susceptible to getting an STI, so make sure you both test negative for HIV, herpes, and any other STIs that can be transmitted orally before trying this). See how she likes the sensation. If you get a thumbs up, try graduating to using mouth wash right before sex. This will likely create a noticeable stronger sensation. And if this goes over well and she would like a stronger sensation, you can try a mint or cough drop while performing cunnilingus.

If you go the cough drop or mint route, make sure to choose a low-sugar menthol product. Sugar can cause yeast infections, which may not make the menthol fun worth it. If you'd like to try cunnilingus menthol fun while also using barriers, grab some clear plastic wrap or a dental dam and some menthol–infused lube. Just make sure if you're using a latex barrier, that the lube is water or silicone–based, and not oil–based. Then, put a small amount of lube on the clit side of the dam or plastic. If it's feeling good, you can gradually add more.

Enjoy!