Nutritional value in a serving of semen

Originally Published: October 29, 1999 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 9, 2015

Today a girlfriend and I were discussing the nutritional value of sperm. While performing oral sex, if you swallow, I was told that it is very high in protein. However, I was also informed that it is very high in calories. This may seem like a weird question, but I would like to know what nutritional benefits are involved when "swallowing" and how many approximate calories are in a man's ejaculation? Thank you for your help in this matter.

P

Dear P,

A typical ejaculation fills up about one teaspoon; the actual amount is determined by a man's age (younger men usually make more semen), when he last ejaculated, and how long he's aroused before ejaculating, among other factors. Contrary to what you've heard, semen is not loaded with calories. Each teaspoon of ejaculate has about five to seven calories and some 200 to 500 million sperm. Since sperm make up only about one percent of semen, what accounts for the other 99 percent? Well, its other ingredients include:

• Fructose sugar
  • Water
  • Ascorbic acid (a.k.a., Vitamin C)
  • Citric acid
  • Enzymes
  • Protein
  • Phosphate and bicarbonate buffers (bases)
  • Zinc

Can swallowing semen enrich a protein poor diet? Unless you're gulping gallons of it each day, it's no substitute for real nutritious cuisine! While it may be nutrition you're after, P, semen can also transmit sexually transmitted infections (STIs). It may be a good idea to keep in mind safer sex practices when considering whether or not to swallow.

521946
In many cultures it is believed that ejaculating, will zap the "life-force" out of a person and promote containment or even sexual abstinence for that sole reason. With the added knowledge of the...
In many cultures it is believed that ejaculating, will zap the "life-force" out of a person and promote containment or even sexual abstinence for that sole reason. With the added knowledge of the nutrient-rich human semen, it makes some kind of sense. Not that abstinence or containment is the right thing to do, but that it really does zap the body for vital nutrients. Interesting. Can the same be said about the female ejaculation in some way?

20418
Dear Alice, Your comment about gulping gallons of semen a day to enrich a poor diet is very misleading and irresponsible. Just gulping one gallon of semen would feed the gulper 3,840 calories (...
Dear Alice, Your comment about gulping gallons of semen a day to enrich a poor diet is very misleading and irresponsible. Just gulping one gallon of semen would feed the gulper 3,840 calories (assuming the low end of the range of 5 per teaspoon). This amount is appropriate only for a competitive athlete. Gulping gallons (7,000 to 11,000 calories) would be dangerous for most humans. The US RDA of calories per day is more in the range of 2,000. Hence, a poor diet would be greatly enhanced by 300-500 calories of highly nutritional foods. So gulping 1 or 2 cups of semen is a more appropriate and realistic suggestion. -Concerned Ejaculator,