No sex or masturbation for a year

| Originally Published: May 18, 1995 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: June 15, 2012

I would like to know if it is bad to my system to stop having sex or masturbating myself, in other words, stop ejaculating for a reasonable amount of time, let's say a year. Do you think that I may have problems later? My girlfriend is out of the country. I don't wanna do it with anybody else and I don't like masturbating by myself.

—The Lonely one

Dear The Lonely One,

It is not medically or physically detrimental to your system if you stop having sex, or choose not to masturbate for a year (or longer). Your reproductive system continues to produce millions of immature sperm every day, regardless of whether or not you engage in any kind of sexual activity. It is pretty common for both men and women to go through extended periods of time of sexual inactivity. There are no resulting problems with erection, ejaculation, lubrication, or orgasm. Don't worry — do what feels right!