My boyfriend's semen is chunky — Is this normal?

Originally Published: January 30, 2004 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: December 30, 2009

I tried looking for an answer to my question in the archives, but didn't find one. What I want to know is if it is normal that my boyfriend's semen has clumps (I don't know how else to describe it) in it? The semen has never been clumpy before, but the last time I gave him a blowjob, the semen had a chunky consistency to it. Should I be worried that this may be an STD, or is this kind of thing related to other things, and if so, what are they? Thanks.

A little worried.

Dear A little worried,

There's no need to stress — this phenomenon isn't as sticky as it might seem. Chunky or clumpy semen is normal and is NOT a symptom of a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Semen (a.k.a. cum, ejaculate) can vary in texture, odor, color, and taste. While the differences are due mainly to each man's biology, factors such as temperature, physical activity, diet, and recent ejaculations also affect what comes out after a "happy ending."

Semen can also change in consistency and appearance in the minutes after leaving the penis. After ejaculation, proteins contained in semen can cause it to become thick, sticky, and clumpy. This consistency helps increase the chances for fertilization, since the semen stays high in the vagina, making it less likely to run right out of it until a bit later.

In the event that the change in your boyfriend's semen is accompanied by pain or unusual discharge from his penis, that's another story — he would need to visit a health care provider or urologist.  If he's a student at Columbia, he can make an appointment with Primary Care Medical Services online using Open Communicator or by calling x4-2284.

Otherwise, continue to have fun with your boyfriend — chunks, clumps, and all!

550941
This happens to me on occasion. It's always because I'm dehydrated. I drink up and the next time it's smooth and creamy again.

521850
From my own experience, the biggest factor is simply the time between ejaculations. If it has been a few days (especially since that is out of the ordinary for me) then invariably it takes on a more...
From my own experience, the biggest factor is simply the time between ejaculations. If it has been a few days (especially since that is out of the ordinary for me) then invariably it takes on a more "chunky" consistency. If it has been a couple times in a day, then the following result is a much thinner consistency.

21116
I was researching chunky semen and during the research my doctor returned my call so I thought I would share since I was actually reading the post on Ask Alice when she called. I've had the same...
I was researching chunky semen and during the research my doctor returned my call so I thought I would share since I was actually reading the post on Ask Alice when she called. I've had the same experience myself and the doctor had told me it was due to a concurrent bladder infection in which the infection had also reached my prostate. I would suggest your BF go get a urinalysis to check for infection. My doctor tested my urine and then had it cultured and then checked the culture for antiobiotic sensitivity then prescribed me an antibiotic for that organism (e.coli) and also encouraged me to ejaculate often to help drain the prostate. The chunkiness was from bacterial build up over time.

21234

After reading this (I personally have "chunky" semen myself), I feel a lot better. It had never been like that in past years, but about 6-10 months ago it started to become...

After reading this (I personally have "chunky" semen myself), I feel a lot better. It had never been like that in past years, but about 6-10 months ago it started to become chunky or clumpy. Reading this article puts my mind at ease as I was beginning to worry if I had somehow contracted a STD. Thank you for your response to this.