Moaning during sex

Originally Published: December 1, 2000 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: July 24, 2012

Why do girls/women moan during sex?

Oh, oh, yeah! Moaning is a way for people to communicate or express excitement and pleasure. Some women and men moan as a signal to let their partner know that the sensation feels good. Others utter sounds and let their bodies move freely as they "lose control" and allow themselves to be part of the sexual and satisfying experience.

Movies, television, and music present us with idealized sex scenes or lyrics of people moaning and panting at the height of passion. In reality, while some people are vocal and may moan and groan until the sun comes up, some folks may muffle any sounds with a pillow, while others do not make a single peep. Some express themselves by twitching or moving their bodies rhythmically as a response to sexual pleasure.

Moaning doesn't only happen during sex. Some people make small sounds while kissing, giving or receiving a massage, or snuggling. Others don't have to be sexually excited to make a sound. While humans don't typically purr, some people may make a soft moaning sound when their hair or head is stroked — just like a cat might if it were being petted. There are also times when someone might be eating something really fantastic and a light "mmm..." escapes his or her lips. This sound can be used to express the way s/he's feeling as s/he is savoring the taste.

You may or may not want to expand your moaning repertoire. However, if you're a screamer, you might want to be considerate of your neighbors and think about turning it down a notch. For more insight into moaning, read The Woman Who Loved To Make Vaginas Happy in The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler, or see the play, possibly playing at a theatre near you.

555886
I actually found that moaning during masturbation or sex has helped increase my pleasure and his. Everytime I moan he takes it as he should go faster and harder which only gives me even more pleasure...
I actually found that moaning during masturbation or sex has helped increase my pleasure and his. Everytime I moan he takes it as he should go faster and harder which only gives me even more pleasure :) Although it has gotten to multiple times I couldn't control them.