Men's legs and shaving

Originally Published: May 3, 1996 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: June 10, 2011

I'm an 18-year-old guy, and I'm thinking about shaving my legs this summer. Basically my legs seem too hairy for my liking and it makes them feel less clean to me. Is it strange to feel this way? I've wanted to try this for a while, but have been worried about what others' reaction will be. Would people think I am totally strange or would they even take notice? I've heard that cyclists and swimmers often shave their legs in preparation for competitions — what kind of reaction does that draw? Thanks for any advice you can give.

To shave or not to shave... this is the question. When it comes to removing body hair, whether it's on top of your head, under your arms, or on or between your legs, there's no incorrect decision because the act is naturally reversible. If you shave your hairy legs today, and it doesn't make you feel any "cleaner" tomorrow, rest assured, the hair will return. Similarly, let's say you shave your chest hair and discover that, without it, you look similar to a plucked chicken. Squawk not, your feathers will eventually grow back.

It is true that bikers, swimmers, runners, and other athletes have been shaving for years as a tactic for improving their speed; but, more and more, pop culture has jumped into the game as well. Take a look at some male-oriented sports and fashion magazines: there's plenty of beef, but where's the hair? So, since hairless supermodels are in vogue, it's doubtful that you will become a shaved-legged laughing stock at this summer's beach parties and barbecues. And yes, you may even discover that few notice your nakedness, as many guys have very little hair on their legs, arms, chests, etc. from the get go.

Be aware that everyday shaving may leave you with a prickly, bumpy surface, rather than the silky, smooth skin you see on TV. This can be a hair-raising experience for some, but again, stay tuned because your hair will be right back. You might consider trimming your body hair, instead of going for the Uncle Fester look. Waxing, where a professional uses wax to pull out your hair, can leave you smooth longer, but may be more costly and painful than shaving. Finally, laser hair removal is an option for long term hair removal, albeit the most costly. Whether you remove your hair is your decision. There is little harm in trying, since you can bet your body hair will grow back sooner or later.

522177
I have been shaving everything from the neck down for years, I worked in a meat packing plant and wore thermal underwear daily and having hair on my body was a major discomfort. Even though I am...
I have been shaving everything from the neck down for years, I worked in a meat packing plant and wore thermal underwear daily and having hair on my body was a major discomfort. Even though I am blonde and don't have thick hair. I bought an epilator a couple of years ago and the first few uses are major terror. Not any more, it pulls the hair out easily with little pain. The results are longer lasting as compared to shaving. Forget the stigma that a man with no body hair must be gay. I've had several girl friends over the years and they all appreciated not getting hair in their teeth :)

521127
I shaved my legs and I'm a man. It feels good. Gonna keep them that way from now on!

520572
I just shaved my legs for the first time and now my girlfriend is making fun of me, asking if I want to be a lady and if she should buy me a bra. She's upset my legs are softer than hers -- it makes...
I just shaved my legs for the first time and now my girlfriend is making fun of me, asking if I want to be a lady and if she should buy me a bra. She's upset my legs are softer than hers -- it makes her feel less feminine. Maybe some women don't care if their boyfriend has sexier legs than they do, but some do. Think carefully before shaving off your hair.

21619

Hello, I'm a women and I see many of my guy friends shave their legs. No, this is not a bad thing. Many women (take me for instance) find it attractive for a man to have shaved his legs.

...

Sincerly,

Awesome

21311

I don't think men shaving is a big issue. It's been going on for centuries. As for me, I have been trimming my pubes and shaving down there for about 15 years. Never had a woman...

I don't think men shaving is a big issue. It's been going on for centuries. As for me, I have been trimming my pubes and shaving down there for about 15 years. Never had a woman give me grief for that. I have the same issue with my legs as previously mentioned. I don't currently shave them but trim the hair down really close. Almost looks shaved. Underarms are always trimmed and sometimes smooth. Bottom line is I don't like being hairy! My bod, my choice. :)

21215
Hi everyone —

After years of wearing jeans and socks, many, many guys are half bald on their legs. I've shaved my legs for the past two summers after hearing more comments from friends when...

Hi everyone —

After years of wearing jeans and socks, many, many guys are half bald on their legs. I've shaved my legs for the past two summers after hearing more comments from friends when I would wear shorts. I would hear things like, "What happened to the hair on your legs?"

It was so patchy and more odd looking than just clean shaved. If you take a look around, I'd say 50% of guys over 30 suffer from partially balding legs.

21183

I shave my legs and underarms. I started shaving my underarms because they were just too bushy and trimming looked like a bad shave job. I don't have an issue with folks seeing...

I shave my legs and underarms. I started shaving my underarms because they were just too bushy and trimming looked like a bad shave job. I don't have an issue with folks seeing my underarms any more. If you work out your arms, it looks better anyway. Now, when I see folks with bushy underarms, I think: they should just shave. It's not girly unless the guy is girly.

As for my legs, that's a different story. After years of wearing socks, the hair on the bottom half of my leg just doesn't grow any more. I tried keeping them trimmed so the difference was a little more subtle but then tried shaving. I agree with the other comments folks have published here: shaved legs look better and feel much better. I'm used to them being shaved now, and I really like it, but I am very self-conscious in public. I've had friends look at me differently (with less respect) while others don't care. I always get the feeling they're wondering if I'm secretly gay.

I should be able to live my own life and do what I want to do, but I just don't have the confidence to pull it off. I don't want to lose the respect of others. I just want them to respect me no matter what I do. Everything sounds right — it just doesn't work out that way though. It's frustrating...

21169

I have been shaving my legs and underarms for at least fifteen years. Actually whole body! Yes, it does take some time, but it is enjoyable time. To me, there is nothing like getting...

I have been shaving my legs and underarms for at least fifteen years. Actually whole body! Yes, it does take some time, but it is enjoyable time. To me, there is nothing like getting into a hot bath, laying back with a good shaving gel, and shaving my legs and body. Also, I love my smooth skin! And yes, not shaving for a few days is uncomfortable. But the feel of my clothes, lack of body odor, and look make this a wonderful experience. Zero reason why men should not shave!

As far as being in public in shorts, no one notices (or if they do, they don't show it at all). The only thing I don't do is wear sleeveless shirts, where people can see my shaved underarms.

21041

I have been shaving my legs for about 10 years. I first shaved them because I thought they would look cleaner and better. Apparently, my thought was correct. My wife has...

I have been shaving my legs for about 10 years. I first shaved them because I thought they would look cleaner and better. Apparently, my thought was correct. My wife has encouraged me to keep my legs shaved and smooth. Other women have noticed and have commented favorably.

20864

I have also been thinking of shaving my legs. I have always shaved my chest and inner thighs. I asked my wife what she thought and she was indifferent. I used to play softball and one...

I have also been thinking of shaving my legs. I have always shaved my chest and inner thighs. I asked my wife what she thought and she was indifferent. I used to play softball and one of the guys always shaved his legs and arms, and some of the other guys did think it was kind of strange. But he was a regular guy and just did not like the hairy look.

Michael G.

20802

I have shaved my legs for over three years and almost nobody has noticed. I cycle, which is why I started doing this, but that is not why I carry on. The look is smooth and athletic...

I have shaved my legs for over three years and almost nobody has noticed. I cycle, which is why I started doing this, but that is not why I carry on. The look is smooth and athletic and my legs are very hairy if I don't shave. Just do it and see the difference. Most guys who start shaving their legs will never stop. Electric razors make it quick and easy.

20785

I am a thirty-year-old male and I have been shaving my legs for years now.

I used to worry about what other people would think about seeing my legs shaven, but people can think...

I used to worry about what other people would think about seeing my legs shaven, but people can think what they want because I don't worry about what people think. Be free to do what you want and feel good in your skin. Be yourself!

20733

All men's body hair is an integral part of what makes the guy the man that he is. We need to change the notion that a man needs to shave it off wherever it is to look normal. The...

All men's body hair is an integral part of what makes the guy the man that he is. We need to change the notion that a man needs to shave it off wherever it is to look normal. The argument about the wind drag factor for cyclists really is debatable.

Guys should just shave their face if they want to, but then leave every single one of all their other body hairs alone. They look tremendous — absolutely.

20492
Dear Alice, The intensity of pain sensations varies widely from one person to the next. I have my pubes waxed and have no real problem with it. Others, I understand, scream. Try it on the least...
Dear Alice, The intensity of pain sensations varies widely from one person to the next. I have my pubes waxed and have no real problem with it. Others, I understand, scream. Try it on the least sensitive area and go from there. Try a salon. If the person doing you does 30 or 40 people a week, you may be amazed.