Masturbates=sexually active?

| Originally Published: April 19, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: August 3, 2001

If one masturbates but does not get involved in any other sexual activities, is that person considered to be sexually active?

Curious

Dear Curious,

Alice would say that one is solitarily sexually active or sexually active with yourself. Any one else have comments?

20372

This is a response to the question Masturbates = Sexually active? I believe that it can be argued that solo masturbation is, indeed, being sexually active....

This is a response to the question Masturbates = Sexually active? I believe that it can be argued that solo masturbation is, indeed, being sexually active. It is so important to know that sexuality is more than just specific behaviors; it includes environment, feelings, and psychology. During solo masturbation, it is common for an individual to incorporate fantasy as a w ay of making the experience fulfilling. I would argue that this creates the same environmental, emotional, and psychological stimulus that exists in any other sexual behavior. Some people use pornographic materials to increase the pleasure. Some people even take the opportunity to use masturbation as a form of meditation, which creates an even broader definition of being sexually active. Phone-sex, cyber-sex, virtual sex, and other modern avenues of sexual expression usually include masturbation as a primary source of pleasuring. All of these examples do not, necessarily, have a partner directly in contact with the person engaging in solo masturbation, but they do have all the ingredients of sexual activity.