Marijuana and drug detox kits

Originally Published: April 13, 2012
I have a question. I read what you wrote about how long marijuana stays in the system. I have smoked every day for the last three months, but have now stopped completely. I am assuming it will stay in my system for three months. I regret this now. I want to look for a job and many firms drug test. I see on the web that there are kits that can be used to help pass the test. Do they work?

Thanks for your advice. I've never smoked before this and never will again!!! Thanks!

You are right that many firms and organizations drug test during the hiring process — something that every job seeker should keep in mind. While there are several ways of drug testing (hair, blood, etc.), the most common method is a urine test. The bad news is that there are no real benefits of using home detox kits to help you pass a drug test. The good news is that the marijuana will eventually be out of your system.

Most of these kits contain a mixture of compounds such as goldenseal, vinegar, niacin, or vitamin C, activated charcoal, lecithin, and herbal teas/powders. Current research suggests that none of these compounds speed up the process of eliminating marijuana from the body.  Additionally, while some kits may contain compounds that will “trick” the test into a “pass,” most drug testing labs will also test for the presence of these compounds — and then rule out the test results. It is also important to note that the levels of cannabinoids and their derivatives in urine can fluctuate over time — even over the course of a single day. So while you may pass a drug test on one day, you might fail the next.

Now, here’s the good news. While a urine test can detect regular marijuana usage up to 100 days after the last use, most individuals (even daily users) are clean within 4 to 6 weeks. Keep in mind, however, that there are a myriad of factors that affect drug metabolism (the time it takes for your body to break down a drug). The frequency, duration, and strength of the drug are all factors. In terms of testing clean, the type of test used (blood versus urine, for example) as well as test sensitivity will affect whether or not you pass with flying colors or fail. For more information, check out Marijuana: How long does it hang out in the body?.

At the end of the day, time is really your best bet for passing the test. In the meantime, fine-tune your resume, brush up on those interviewing skills, and work towards your goal of staying smoke free!