Longing for love poems

Originally Published: February 12, 1999 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 5, 2013

I have trouble meeting girls and I was wondering if you could give me some love poems.

from, a boy

Dear a boy,

How romantic to send, not to mention to receive, a love poem. Here are a couple of favorites among published love prose: one by Percy Blythe Shelley and another by Rumi. If you have a book of poetry, peruse it for poems, or even for a few lines, that speak to your heart. Of course, some of the most cherished love poems are those written by the sender. Perhaps some day you'll be inspired, by the right person or a special moment, to write your own poem.

Love's Philosophy

The fountains mingle with the river and the rivers with the oceans, the winds of heaven mix forever
with a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle.
Why not I with thine?
See the mountains kiss high heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother,
And the sunlight clasps the earth
And the moonbeams kiss the sea:
What is all this sweet work worth
If thou kiss not me?
— Percy Bysshe Shelley
(Untitled)

The minute I heard my first love story
I started looking for you,
not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.
— Rumi

Other poets renowned for their expressions and words of love and romance through poetry include Pablo Neruda, Robert Frost, Maya Angelou, William Shakespeare, Lord Byron, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Walt Whitman, and Audre Lourde, to name just a few. Another beautiful poem is "The Song of Songs," which is in the Old Testament or Torah. Searching the internet for "poetry" can also help you in your pursuit of love poems.

Lyrics from love songs and ballads are another good source of love prose. Try singers or songwriters such as Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, The Beatles, Mario Lanza, Maria Callas, Luciano Pavarotti, Joni Mit chell, Carole King, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, Sarah McLachlan, Chris Isaak, Madonna, Jeff Buckley, Morphine, Sting, Joe Jackson, Cole Porter, George and Ira Gershwin, Rodgers and Hart, Cesaria Evora, Peter Gabriel, Crowded House, Lucinda Williams, Leonard Cohen, Jonathan Richman, Carly Simon, Trisha Yearwood, Lyle Lovett, Eric Clapton, Babyface, Whitney Houston, Luther Vandross, Boyz to Men, Toni Braxton, Marc Anthony, Jon B., Patsy Cline, Barry White, Marvin Gaye, Ani DiFranco, John Gorka, Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, Elton John, Melissa Etheridge, George Michael, Everything But The Girl, James Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Gipsy Kings, Astrud Gilberto, Julee Cruise, Loreena McKennitt, Diana Krall, Julio Iglesias, and many, many more, depending on your musical tastes and preferences.

Enjoy!