Light period = Pregnant?

Originally Published: May 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: June 4, 2015

Is it possible to be pregnant even after you have had your period (if it was VERY light)? I read this somewhere.

—Am I or am I not?

Dear Am I or Am I not?,

The only way to know for sure if you are pregnant is to take a pregnancy test, but there are a number of early indications of pregnancy. A lighter or shorter period than usual is one of these. Other indications include:

• Completely missing a period
  • Swelling, tenderness, or tingling in the breasts (about two weeks after conception)
  • Frequent urination
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea or vomiting (morning sickness)
  • Feeling bloated or crampy
  • Increased or decreased appetite
  • Changes in digestion (constipation or heartburn)
  • Mood changes

If a woman is pregnant, usually more than one of these symptoms will be present. In other words, a light period one month may or may not mean that one is pregnant, especially depending upon whether or not there has been unprotected intercourse during that month.

If you think you or someone you know may be pregnant, you can make an appointment with your primary care provider to get a pregnancy screening done. During your appointment, you will be given a pregnancy test and and the provider will discuss your results and options, including contraception. You can also have this done at your local Planned Parenthood or Department of Health clinic.

Hope this information helps!

For more information or to make an appointment, check out these recommended resources:

Medical Services (Morningside)

Student Health Services (CUMC)