Is it possible to "break" your penis?

Originally Published: April 4, 2003 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: January 4, 2008

I was wondering if it is possible to fracture or "break" my penis when it is erect. I have heard that it is possible and that it is painful. Can it be corrected, and will it go back to normal?

— M

Dear M,

Even though there are no actual bones in a boner, it is possible to break one's penis. To understand how this incredibly rare and painful event can occur, we first need to review a little (or not so little) penile anatomy. The shaft of the penis is comprised of two chambers of spongy tissue, the corpora cavernosa, which run along the inside length of the penis. Erections occur when, in response to physical and/or mental triggers, the nerves of the penis signal the surrounding muscles to relax, allowing blood to pour into the corpora cavernosa. A thick membrane surrounding the corpora cavernosa, the tunica albuginea, keeps the blood that is being pumped into those spongy chambers from being able to escape. The result — a stiffer, larger, and more rigid rod. Although your erect penis may feel rock-hard, it is still flesh and blood.

Penile fractures occur when an erect penis is thrust against a harder, less flexible object. This could happen if someone enthusiastically plunges and pumps his penis into a partner, or a pillow let's say, and misses or "over-runs" the intended opening and instead hits a pubic bone, headboard, or other hard surface. If the object is hard enough, and the erect penis is thrust with enough force, that thick membrane surrounding the corpora cavernosa can tear, causing an audible "cracking" sound, abrupt loss of erection, severe pain and bruising, and a penis that is typically "bent" to one side or the other.

Penile fractures are a medical emergency and must be evaluated and treated immediately. In severe cases, it is possible to damage the urethra, interfering with urination. Treatment for penile fractures consists of immediate evaluation, and, most often, surgical intervention to repair the tunica albuginea and restore or preserve erectile function and the ability to pass urine. Similar to other fractures, the sooner the broken part is "set," the less likely permanent damage and misshapenness will result.

Even though many penile fractures can be fixed, it's probably safer and more pleasurable to focus on finesse rather than force when working and playing with an erection.

Again, broken penises are really hard to come by, so try not to let stories about this highly unlikely occurrence stand in the way of the happiness that your erect penis might bring to you and others.

519319
Ouch. Especially the snapping part. Just ouch.

21269
Hi,

This is all very true. I fractured my corpus cavern, rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. But how? Morning wood. If you have morning wood and you have to urinate, use the shower....

Hi,

This is all very true. I fractured my corpus cavern, rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. But how? Morning wood. If you have morning wood and you have to urinate, use the shower. Some things are not meant to be forced. Fully useable within 3-4 months, abusable within 6. Set me back 5 g's for surgery, 500 for the ambulance (I could have driven there faster) 1500 for the dope man, and another 2gs for something. Not worth the impatience. Take precaution, but don't let it stop you from your personal thrills. I often forget my Hercules like strength with morning wood.

21180
Oh how awesome it was to read your response!

My boyfriend and I are on week 3 after his recent surgery for exactly this situation. It went just how you explained and "POP" he jumped up and said, "...

My boyfriend and I are on week 3 after his recent surgery for exactly this situation. It went just how you explained and "POP" he jumped up and said, "It's broken, it's broken!" Off to the hospital we went. (I was so embarrassed to tell the emergency nurse why we were there. And yes the WHOLE family came to the hospital.) As a result of the tear, he is looking a bit more curved but already able to get an erection. He did have to have a circumcision though. No sex yet, not for at least 3+ more weeks, but thankfully he should be fine.

20739

I did indeed break my penis about 15 years ago. I used to be able to "crack" my penis by pushing down on it when it was erect. By pushing down, I mean pushing the head towards the shaft...

I did indeed break my penis about 15 years ago. I used to be able to "crack" my penis by pushing down on it when it was erect. By pushing down, I mean pushing the head towards the shaft, not moving it down like a lever. This would make my erection go away and I would do this when I did not want an erection. Anyway, I woke up in the middle of the night with an erection and pushed on it in the bathroom and it indeed made that loud "crack" you were talking about. It instantly swelled in diameter and at the Hospital turned black and blue. They performed the surgery and gave me these small glass tubes of liquid wrapped in gauze. I would break these tubes and smell the liquid to make my erection instantly subside so that the stitches would not tear open. It has been basically fine since then.

Randy

20531
Alice, Your answer to the "can you break a penis" was great and oh so true. I have been down that road and I know the things you say are true. My husband and I had a throw on the hardwood floor one...
Alice, Your answer to the "can you break a penis" was great and oh so true. I have been down that road and I know the things you say are true. My husband and I had a throw on the hardwood floor one night. I was on top and in the excitement, I came down hard and missed my mark. You really could hear a "pop." Needless to say, he was in terrible pain! I asked what I should do and he said... ya ready for this? "Call My Mom!!" Anyway, he did need surgery and the doctor told us that he might not ever be able to have sex again. He's FINE!! Great surgeon. Well, anyway, great answer! Cheri