I'm vomiting and can't keep anything down — Help!

Originally Published: March 5, 2004 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 4, 2014

I have a virus and can't keep anything down. What can I take to help?

It depends on what is causing your inability to keep anything down. While a common cause is a gastrointestinal virus, without a diagnosis from a health care provider, it is possible that your constant upheaval could be caused by multiple things: food poisoning, a migraine, motion sickness, recent exposure to general anesthesia, rotavirus, and alcohol use, to name a few. Given that the visible symptoms of these ailments are similar, a health care professional may be able to provide a more conclusive diagnosis and prepare cultures to determine the cause of your volatile vomiting. In the meantime, there are various ways to facilitate the healing process. It is recommended to:

• Get a lot of rest and take it easy.
  • Stay hydrated; take small sips of cold, clear, carbonated or sour drinks, such as ginger ale, lemonade, water, or mint tea.
  • Gradually begin to eat easy-to-digest foods such as soda crackers, toast, gelatin, bananas, rice, and chicken.
  • Avoid dairy products, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and fatty or highly seasoned foods.
  • Be cautious with medications, which can make your stomach more upset.

While most people recover uneventfully from a bout of vomiting and/or diarrhea, some become seriously dehydrated, or lose too much fluid. It is very important to avoid dehydration. In the most severe cases, a person may become confused, unconscious, and/or experience seizures. Continue to sip or drink liquids and not worry about eating until you are clearly on the mend. It is recommended to drink oral rehydration solutions that provide the vital sugars and salts that the body needs to recover. Sports drinks should be avoided because they have a high concentration of sugar, which can actually cause or aggravate diarrhea. Symptoms of dehydration include:

• Dry, sticky feeling in the mouth
  • Dry eyes or few tears when crying
  • Peeing only tiny amounts of dark yellow urine
  • Sunken eyes
  • Fatigue, extreme weakness, and dizziness
  • Thirst
  • Dry skin
  • Headaches

If you are dehydrated, start by sipping just a spoonful or two of replacement fluid every 15 minutes. When you can hold this down, you can push the time to every 10 minutes, and then every 5 minutes. Then very gradually increase the quantity. If you do not have an oral rehydration solution on hand, your health care provider may be able to provide a recipe for a reasonable, safe substitute. A common recipe is ½ tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, and 5 cups of water.

If you were, in fact, bit by the stomach bug, it is wise to speak with your healthcare provider. Most "stomach bugs," or gastroenteritis, run their course within 24 - 36 hours, but not until they've caused plenty of discomfort, pain, and even misery. You may have a bacterial infection that will require antibiotics, or some other complication that will require medical treatment. Columbia students can make an appointment by contacting Medical Services (Morningside) or the Student Health Service (CUMC). Speak with a health care provider if you:

• Can't hold anything down for more than 24 hours.
  • Continue to vomit for more than 2 days.
  • Have a fever higher than 101.5 F (38.6 C).
  • Have severe abdominal pain or cramping.
  • Feel faint or woozy.
  • Notice blood in his or her stool or vomit.
  • Show signs or symptoms of dehydration — excessive thirst, dry mouth, little or no urination, severe weakness, dizziness or lightheadedness.

While your queasiness may have you feeling down, following these tips may help your body get back into the swing of things. Hydrate, rest, and recharge. Feel better soon!

523285
Thank you so much! I was up all night unable to keep anything down. The hydration solution and technique you provided seems to be working so far. Might miss a day of classes, but I'm already...
Thank you so much! I was up all night unable to keep anything down. The hydration solution and technique you provided seems to be working so far. Might miss a day of classes, but I'm already feeling less miserable :)

521136
Never mix antibioitics and alcohol. You will be sick the whole next day and wont be able to keep down liquids or food