Ideas for a creative anniversary celebration?

Originally Published: July 9, 1999 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: April 25, 2014

I am eighteen years old and I've been with my boyfriend for one year now. What are some creative ideas for us to celebrate our one year anniversary? Background: We are still virgins and will keep that way till marriage. We don't drink, smoke, etc. We are Christians. Need creative ideas quick please!

Wanting Creativity

Dear Wanting Creativity,

Many people enjoy celebrating special times and accomplishments. Doing so plants positive memories, breaks up the routine, day-to-day stuff, and shines a light on what's really important to us in this thing called life. Have you touched base with your boyfriend? What does he have in mind? You may want to consider getting him involved in the planning if he's not already: this way, both of you will be invested in the outcome, not to mention the greater number of creative ideas that can come from a little two-way brainstorming. That said — there are an infinite number of ways to celebrate this occasion. Here are some ideas to get you started:

• Shop for and cook dinner together. Perhaps you can recreate the first meal you had together or incorporate foods that you both love into one, delicious meal.
  • Make a picnic for the park or other romantic location.
  • Do something daring with your beau that neither of you would have the guts to do alone — open-mic night anyone?
  • Go to a play, concert, or visit a museum (Columbia students can check out the Arts Initiative for discounted tickets).
  • Take in a romantic view from a skyscraper or hike to a mountaintop. Bonus points: Do it at sunrise or sunset.
  • Go on an adventurous day trip: hiking, river rafting, or camping.
  • Plan an all-night (or all-day!) movie or TV show binge. Stock up on your favorite snacks and foods and enjoy the company.
  • Make it a three part day – one activity that you enjoy, one that he enjoys, and one that you both enjoy.

Finally, will you and your boyfriend be exchanging gifts? If so, it might be helpful to agree upon a price range to relieve any potential financial pressures. Homemade gifts are always a sweet option — a card made with care, a piece of jewelry, or pretty painting prepared from the heart. The other idea to consider is that the first anniversary is considered the "paper" anniversary.  Be creative with that theme and see what comes to mind (write each other a poem and frame it, etc.).

Happy Anniversary,