How do I tell my parents I'm pregnant?

Originally Published: November 1, 1996 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: July 7, 1998

I am pregnant and my ex-boyfriend is the father. He broke up with me before I found out I was pregnant. He's going out with another girl now and acts like he doesn't want anything to do with me or our baby! Neither my parents nor his parents know yet. How do I tell them? I don't want to go through this as a single parent. What should I do?

Worried,
IN

Dear IN,

If you have decided to keep the pregnancy, you need to tell your parents. Many parents, perhaps most, will be more supportive than you imagine. Maybe mom and dad, or people close to them, have gone through similar experiences. They may be upset at first, and disappointed; but, trust that they will help you decide about your next steps. However, if you are afraid they would be so upset that they might harm you, Alice suggests that you share your situation first with a favorite teacher or coach at school, a school counselor or nurse, or a health care provider.

Your ex-boyfriend and his parents may or may not be involved in your present or future decisions. Alice suggests that as hard as it will be, that you face the inevitable, and sit down with one or both of your parents, soon.

508117
Action reiqures knowledge, and now I can act!