Holding your pee — will it damage the prostate?

Originally Published: June 9, 2006 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: August 25, 2006

Is it true if a guy holds his urine too long it can damage the prostate and make it harder if not impossible to have boners or be aroused?

I watch too many movies

Dear I watch too many movies,

Holding your urine for extended periods can be uncomfortable and may put you at increased risk for urinary tract infections, but it isn't likely to damage your prostate or hamper your sexual performance. Your bladder is a muscle. If you delay using the bathroom on a regular-basis, the bladder may become overfull, causing it to distend or stretch out. This may impact your ability to empty your bladder completely, which might make you have to pee more often, since you lose storage space. (This, however, is relatively uncommon in younger people.)

Bladder weakness may also decrease the sensation of having to urinate. You may not feel you have to pee until your bladder is extremely full, so you don't have a lot warning time before you really need to pee. Accidents or leakage may be more likely to occur.

For the health of your plumbing, drinking plenty of fluids and peeing regularly is advised. But even if you get stuck in a long bathroom line and are forced to hold it, your prostate and potency should be safe!

21125

As a male I usually hold my pee a lot, for various reasons. When I am ready to burst and in pain, I find that it takes a long time to start my stream. I have a male friend who does...

As a male I usually hold my pee a lot, for various reasons. When I am ready to burst and in pain, I find that it takes a long time to start my stream. I have a male friend who does the same. (We are both in our mid twenties.) He waits longer than I do. One time he had to go to the emergency room to be catheterized. He was simply unable to urinate after holding it for 10 hours!