Grads meeting grads?
Originally Published: February 1, 1994 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: December 15, 2008
I am twenty-four and just started a Masters' part time at TC. My last relationship was two years ago and I find it pretty difficult at my age to meet respectable guys. I enjoy the bar scene with friends, but don't find that it's very easy to meet good people there.
Anyway, do you have any suggestions as to where to meet decent Columbia men in my age group?
Signed, Cupid's Missed Target
Dear Cupid's Missed Target,
Based on the number of questions similar to your own, there are many
Most importantly, know that many, many students at
You may find the suggestions in Graduate students meet graduate students? helpful (not to mention feel solidarity with another student who has very similar concerns!). Some additional options for meeting people around
- Attending a film screening, offered each week through the Film Division of the School of the Arts
- Joining Stressbusters (Alice!'s student stress-relief team)
- Starting or joining a group at TC or for grad students that meets your interests
- Hanging out at one of the many area bookstores
- Organizing a TC or graduate student hiking trip, guided NYC tour, Circle Line cruise, etc.
Finally, consider this: Even with the largest of bull's-eyes, waiting around for Cupid's arrow to hit you may be nothing more than an act in patience-building. Yes, patience is a virtue; however you may find your experience at
Here's hoping all of you seekers and seekees bump into one another!