Originally Published: December 1, 1993 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: December 3, 1999
Share this

Dear Alice,

Where's the infamous "g-spot"? Also, how is it stimulated?

Signed, Hm...

Dear Hm...,

The Grafenberg spot (G-spot) is a sensitive area just behind the front wall of the vagina, between the back of the pubic bone and the cervix. Beverly Whipple, a certified sex educator and counselor, and John D. Perry, an ordained minister, psychologist, and sexologist, named the G-spot after Ernst Grafenberg. Dr. Grafenberg was the first modern physician to describe the area and argue for its importance in female sexual pleasure. The claim is that when this spot is stimulated during sex through vaginal penetration of some kind (fingers during masturbation, penis or other object partly thrusting into the vagina), some women have an orgasm. This orgasm may include a gush of fluid from the urethra, which is not urine.

There is a certain amount of controversy among sex researchers regarding this theory. For women who have felt this gush of urethral fluid, or for those who have found a new pleasure spot, having a name for it confirms their experience. But remember, all women are not sensitive in this area, so be careful not to set up unrealistic expectations for yourself. Try it out, or try it on your girlfriend, and if it gets you off, GREAT, and if it doesn't seem sensitive, try to find the spot(s) that are!