French kissing with braces

Originally Published: October 13, 2000 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 14, 2008

alice,

french kissing with braces?? do braces affect french kissing?

While kissing with braces may be awkward, French kissing with braces may seem like another story altogether. You see, if done without finesse, the soft tissue inside the lips could get cut, leaving you and your kissing partner wondering about why you attempted "tongue Twister" in the first place. Good news — braces have been modified over the years — the brackets and ties have been softened, making them less intrusive, and, therefore, less likely to cause harm. Plus, nothing whatsoever points to the fact that they affect French kissing in any way, good or bad (except people's fears).

Kissing adds another level of intimacy to your relationships. French kissing, which is really just the introduction of the tongue, can be a beautiful, passionate display of your feelings when done with some confidence and flair. Put your feelings into your kiss. There's no right or wrong way to French kiss because everyone has his or her own personal style. Of course, how much or how little tongue you want to taste, feel, probe, suck, and meet is completely up to you.

Braces add yet another level of intimacy because they're something tucked away in your mouth. Although not everyone who knows you even notices your braces right away, your kissing partner does each and every time s/he moves in for that smack-a-roo. French kissing with braces can be enjoyable and accident-free when both smoochers are careful and gentle. Try softening the kiss, perhaps even using just the lips themselves rather than the entire mouth. As long as a little fender-bender doesn't bother you, then by all means, go ahead and smooch away!

Because we like someone, we may feel a bit awkward about bringing up stuff that could offend or embarrass him or her. Chances are good that if you've gotten to the kissing stage, you can talk about what feels good when you kiss and what doesn't; and, if you don't take the risk and do it anyway, learn how to build your assertiveness skills so that you're able to communicate with your smoochee — it can make a world of difference to you and your kissing future. Make it light-hearted, too. Laugh if your braces get stuck together because, really, it is a funny thing. Learning how to be the best kisser you can be takes a lot of practice . . . so try all sorts of variations to see which techniques and styles work best for you and your kissee.

However, if you're getting really torn-up inside and out about how to handle the kissing-with-metal-in-your-mouth dilemma, remember that you won't be wearing braces for the rest of your life. Plus, many brace-wearing folks have been able to have happy and successful kissing relations.

549386
Its not really that dificult. Me and my girlfriend both have braces, the key is to not have your teeth touch.

21404

My boyfriend and I have been dating for just a little over a year now, and I was forced to get braces four months ago. He insists that he actually enjoys kissing me with...

My boyfriend and I have been dating for just a little over a year now, and I was forced to get braces four months ago. He insists that he actually enjoys kissing me with braces just as much as without, and although sometimes I do get shy because I don't want to hurt him, I think that it really isn't something to be overly worried about. What I've found is that there is usually one spot on the inside of your own mouth that you will cut, but you won't notice it until a few hours later. If you cut him on accident, just laugh it off and apologize. Just be cautious and don't let your braces scare you off! :)

20736
Hey there, Alice,

Just a note on the French Kissing with Braces question. I had a boyfriend who wore braces for the first six months we were together. Truthfully, I...

Hey there, Alice,

Just a note on the French Kissing with Braces question. I had a boyfriend who wore braces for the first six months we were together. Truthfully, I hardly ever noticed his braces when we were kissing, and yes, tongue was involved. What I usually did was keep either to the lips, or to the inside of his teeth, to avoid the metal. I only remember being scratched enough to bleed once, so I guess my plan worked.