Foxy methoxy

Originally Published: August 30, 2002 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: July 15, 2004

The new acid like synthetic club drug "Foxy" has caught the attention of a few of my friends and I am wondering what kind of high — it is compared to LSD — and what kinds of damage it does to the brain?

"Foxy" or "foxy methoxy" are two street names for N,N-Diisopropyl-5-methoxytryptamine (5-MeO-DIPT). White or tan in appearance, most users describe it has an unpleasant taste. People can swallow, snort, or smoke foxy.

Very little information about 5-MeO-DIPT is out there. The creator, Alexander Shulgin, published a journal article about the substance in 1980. Much of what we know about it comes from his own use of the substance and some other personal accounts posted by users on the Internet. Shulgin himself writes in his book, Tryptamines I Have Known and Loved, that foxy (a name he, himself, did not use) is "a fast-acting psychedelic-like drug, with suggestions of LSD action but with essential differences... It is short-lived, a virtue in many people's minds." He notes that the ease with which the drug can be synthesized and the minimal side effects are positive aspects, while also admitting that a number of people experience uncomfortable side effects. Other "psychonauts," mind sailors who "explore" their minds through the use of conscious-altering substances, confirm this, reporting that foxy causes severe nausea and vomiting in many users.

Aside from being illegal as of 2003, potential users need to keep in mind that little is known about both short- and long-term health effects. More information about foxy, including pictures, can be found on the U.S. Department of Justice web site.